It's hard to see chandler beating gaethje after rewatching the oliveira fight.

Fesaine

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Chandler looks so vulnerable to counters(especially the check left hook) throughout the Oliveira fight. He always leads his chin whenever he tries that leaping-straight left-hook blitz. Charles hit him with a familiar check left hook before he got clipped in the first round.
giphy.gif

Here's the slow-mo version.
giphy.gif

If he doesn't change his strategy he's likely going to get KTFO by Gaethje.

Saw this too after watching the fight 50 more times. The TKO from Oliveira was no fluke. The check left hook landed easy 1 min into the round and he put some serious heat on it in the 2nd

Saw this too after watching the fight 50 more times. The TKO from Oliveira was no fluke. The check left hook landed easy 1 min into the round and he put some serious heat on it in the 2nd
I'm pretty sure that's how he got dropped in the second primus fight. He caught chandler with a check left hook when he leaps in with his chin.

I'm pretty sure that's how he got dropped in the second primus fight. Leaping in with his head and chin up in the air.

Yeah, unless he makes and adjustment I see Gaethje sleeping him. Chandler is not nearly as defensively responsible as Poirier but looks like he has more power.

He won’t, he was about to get chopped down by hooker if anyone was paying attention to that fight.

It’ll be the leg kicks that lower his mobility so the counters get through, it’ll be fun while it lasts though.

If chandler feints a brawl and gets Gaethje on his back it’s easy money (Gaethje likely has the worst defense off his back of any elite top 10 guy on the roster), but I’m very skeptical of his fight IQ.

Chandler has power but I don’t think anyone thinks he is the superior striker. He’ll need a mix bag of tricks if he is gunna beat Justin.

I do think it’s doable tho.

I think Gaethje wins that fight.
But this board I think is underestimating Gaethje's mental issues after the Khabib fight. Go watch some of his interviews and content since then. The guy sounds like he accepted he'll never be as good as Khabib instead of taking the loss on the chin and then trying to learn from it.

Chandler is referenced as a glass cannon for this reason - he's a kill or be killed fighter. He can beat anyone spectacularly or get finished just as quickly.

Last edited:
JG will kick his ass, it's obvious for me... I hope I won't be wrong.

I think Gaethje wins that fight.
But this board I think is underestimating Gaethje's mental issues after the Khabib fight. Go watch some of his interviews and content since then. The guy sounds like he accepted he'll never be as good as Khabib instead of taking the loss on the chin and then trying to learn from it.

I don’t think that will necessarily affect Justin’s future performances. After all, he doesn’t have to worry about fighting anyone who was ever on Khabib’s level again.

I would have taken Chandler over Gaethje when they were both champ in their respective organizations. Chandler's chin was much better back then and Gaethje was a wild man who defended punches with his face. But Chandler has gotten chinny and Gaethje has gotten more technical. I'd like to see Chandler commit to wrestling in this fight, Khabib exposed that Gaethje is terrible off his back.

Chandler has never dealth with leg kicks well either.

With that said I dont know if Gaethje is as good a counter puncher in the pocket as Do Bronx 2.0. Chandler has to wrestle here and set up his entries with his exposiveness and feints. Without a TD threat hes gonna get murked

Unless he chain wrestles and grinds it out for a few rounds don't see it going good for iron mike

Chandler has a chance to beat any lightweight in the world. If he doesn’t take Gaethje out after that first blitz, he will get knocked out.

I don’t think that will necessarily affect Justin’s future performances. After all, he doesn’t have to worry about fighting anyone who was ever on Khabib’s level again.
IDK man.
On the one hand I agree, it shouldn't because of the obvious reason you stated, but just because it shouldn't have an effect doesn't mean it isn't. Justin admitted it has in a video from the gym a few months back. I don't have the source atm or time to dig it up but the point is, it doesn't need to be a rational reason for it to have a major impact on his mentality.

Any second guessing yourself, especially with a style like Gaethje's where he will stand gladly stand and trade blows... we'll see.

Chandler’s problem has always been that he’s too hittable, but Justin can be inconsistent. I could see either winning.

Back