If Murphy Beats Shevchenko, Will it be Holm-Rousey Levels Of Shock?

Moscardino

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Murphy is 38, has barely squeaked past fighters on the way up with some controversial scorecards and has been entirely underwhelming. She's up against one of the GOAT's in WMMA.

If she gets the win do you reckon it would rival the meltdown levels of when Holm TKO'ed Rousey?

It would break the world :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Scorcher+VI+-+Poster.jpg

She doesn't have much chance to win. She isn't going to get it by KO or submission. She also lost to Nico Montano.

Bigger shock imo, since Valentina is better than Rousey and Murphey is worse than Holm.

Yes, but Ronda Rousey had the whole world believing she was invincible at that point, so no way is Valentina 'better' than Rousey in terms of perception AT THE TIME.

Holm was rated quite a bit higher than Murphy is now (as Murphy seems to have climbed to the top avoiding the toughest opponents like Andrade, even Maia, and hasn't avenged her loss to Chookagian - but I think virtually everyone thought Rousey would R1 sub Holly in a way that I don't think people think this will be a very quick annihilation, more a lopsided fight in favour of Valentina.

So, respectfully disagree.

She doesn't have much chance to win. She isn't going to get it by KO or submission. She also lost to Nico Montano.

Everyone has a chance. All it takes is a misjudged moment and suddenly you end up in a RNC, or a rogue, half-attempted strike hits you just right to drop you to the surprise of you and your opponent and you're swarmed for a finish.

Yes, but Ronda Rousey had the whole world believing she was invincible at that point, so no way is Valentina 'better' than Rousey in terms of perception AT THE TIME.

Holm was rated quite a bit higher than Murphy is now (as Murphy seems to have climbed to the top avoiding the toughest opponents like Andrade, even Maia, and hasn't avenged her loss to Chookagian - but I think virtually everyone thought Rousey would R1 sub Holly in a way that I don't think people think this will be a very quick annihilation, more a lopsided fight in favour of Valentina.

Fair enough. Ronda had more hype, even if it was unjustified for a large part.

So maybe it fair to say that the shock to the hardcore fans would be bigger, but to the casual fans it will be a lot smaller since Val doesn't have nearly the same amount of hype as Ronda.

Everyone has a chance. All it takes is a misjudged moment and suddenly you end up in a RNC, or a rogue, half-attempted strike hits you just right to drop you to the surprise of you and your opponent and you're swarmed for a finish.
She has to win the fight by decision. I don't see that happening. She is a grinder who is very tough. She isn't technical and if she tries to walk Valentina down. It isn't going to be pretty.

I can't think of anything that would be more surprising given the lack of KO threat.

Fair enough. Ronda had more hype, even if it was unjustified for a large part.

So maybe it fair to say that the shock to the hardcore fans would be bigger, but to the casual fans it will be a lot smaller since Val doesn't have nearly the same amount of hype as Ronda.

I think that's fair in a way, Ronda's defeat to Holly (and then smashing at the hands of Amanda) was a 'correction' of the perception of her abilities - although I do think that hype was justified at the time outside of the fact she'd never been seriously challenged. But boy, she was a wrecking machine, even more devastating than Conor was, so I see why she was considered god tier at the time.

If Valentina loses to Murphy, I think a lot of jaws will hit the floor and people will be ASTONISHED - but even a clean win for Lauren wouldn't totally dismiss the perception of Valentina's skillset and quality because she's proven to be far too good for far too long in far too many ways.

But in any event, I think Valentina wins this very, very comfortably - but maybe not in any way she wishes.

But there is a real thing known as betting odds. And there is no way in fuck that Holly was +1900. So perception doesn’t hold a lot of weight compared to actual facts.

Way bigger IMO.

Valentina is proven against elite competition. Redonda just beat a few soccer moms and thought she was the shit when she was actually shit.

Not a shock to the casual fan like Holm/Rousey was.I dont think there will ever be that type of upset again.Ronda was huge and at her peak of hype at the time,there was no way she could lose to another female.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ljae89
Back