Who's The GOAT Gatekeeper?

Derek Brunson has occupied the gatekeeper role successfully for years now. if you can beat Brunson, you're ready for a shot. He plays that role perfectly.
giphy.gif

Neil Magny is up there. He's been gatekeeping the top ten for what seems like ages.

Answers will vary, though, because nobody seems to agree on what a gatekeeper is. For me, if a guy has fought for a title, he's not a gatekeeper.

Dustin Poirier… he is like the gatekeeper for the Top3 for a long time, if you beat him you might get the title, maybe not, but he himself will never become the undisputed ufc champion of any division.

Nate Diaz has been a pretty effective gate keeper for his career. Good fighters beat him and get a small bump in recognition

Edit: both the Diaz bros really
Eh, I don’t know that I agree with Nick being called a gatekeeper. Nick is a former Strikeforce and WEC champ, not really a gatekeeper to me.

This is a good answer. I was gonna say Fitch, but Fitch isn’t really a gatekeeper. He’d have been champ—probably for awhile—if GSP hadn’t been fighting in the same division.

It used to be Bisping. A few others that come to mind
  1. Overeem
  2. Benavidez
  3. Cerrone
  4. Magny
  5. Dan Hooker
  6. Derrick Lewis
  7. James Krause
  8. Darren Till
  9. Sean O'Malley - will be in about 2 years
  10. Jeremy Stephens

It used to be Bisping. A few others that come to mind