Nick Diaz at UFC 266: Anyone worried?

Boxingfan998

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
<Varys01>
I'm probably going to get hated by the Diaz fans, but is anyone worried we might have an Evander Holyfield situation on our hands here? I mean Nick Diaz showing up out of shape, slow, and getting KTFO. Sure they gave him Lawler who's "past his prime", but I believe Lawler is still one of the best "past his prime" fighters ever, that could still KO many in the division.

Nick Diaz might not be that old, and his private life has been kept hidden most of the time. But what we've seen hasn't been good. There are all the signs of alcohol abuse and even substance abuse, and I would argue CTE considering how he slurs his words.

All I'm hoping is that the Nick Diaz we see is fit. I'd hate to see a legend get destroyed and humiliated.

<Varys01>
I'm probably going to get hated by the Diaz fans, but is anyone worried we might have an Evander Holyfield situation on our hands here? I mean Nick Diaz showing up out of shape, slow, and getting KTFO. Sure they gave him Lawler who's "past his prime", but I believe Lawler is still one of the best "past his prime" fighters ever, that could still KO many in the division.

Nick Diaz might not be that old, and his private life has been kept hidden most of the time. But what we've seen hasn't been good. There are all the signs of alcohol abuse and even substance abuse, and I would argue CTE considering how he slurs his words.

All I'm hoping is that the Nick Diaz we see is fit. I'd hate to see a legend get destroyed and humiliated.
Who else would you have him fight? Lawler is the best option.

It might be that the few years out of the sport may be good for his body with less wear and tear, compared to Lawler who's been in so many wars that his body and chin are pretty much shot. It's like a well maintained classic car runs better than a Toyota Camry with 250k miles

(...)Nick Diaz might not be that old, and his private life has been kept hidden most of the time. But what we've seen hasn't been good. There are all the signs of alcohol abuse and even substance abuse, and I would argue CTE considering how he slurs his words.(...)

Nick Diaz?

<DontBelieve1>

Who else would you have him fight? Lawler is the best option.

Condit, Demian Maia, anyone beyond rank 10.
Yes some of these are retired but maybe for a single fight?
I think Lawler is still a very scary man, looked very fit in the videos.

Condit, Demian Maia, anyone beyond rank 10.
Yes some of these are retired but maybe for a single fight?
I think Lawler is still a very scary man, looked very fit in the videos.
Well, Condit retired.

Maia, that could be a fun last fight…but if Diaz boxed the shit out of Maia would that really prove anything?

All I know is that if Nick has a good win via finish you UFC casuals will be clamoring him as the next title challenger for Snoozeman. It's inevitable I've been on this board long enough to know how it goes. First thread Monday morning when everyone is back at work:

"Can Nick be the one to stop Usman?"
"Nick Diaz's layoff has reenergized his body and he will be the one to dethrone Usman"
"Nick Diaz is the best WW in the world right now and Usman is ducking him"

I don't think anyone is "worried". He's 38, not 58. Also most of the people who are claiming to be lifelong 209 diehard Diaz fans started watching mma like 5 years ago. If he looks like shit they'll forget about it quickly and move onto O'Malley's next fight or whatever

<Varys01>

He has still been competing in Triathalons, still trains with other pros at Cesar Gracie Jiu jitsu. I can't imagine him coming back if he didn't know he could still compete at a high level.

I'm worried!

Nick Diaz blocks punches w his face. One day that will catch up to you. Especially when you're showing signs of brain damage. This is gonna be ugly bc there's nothing Nick can do to Robbie. He won't be fast enough to take him out. He's gonna get caught and he can't take him down

Bet the house

Both guys are pretty old although Lawler has at least been active. Nick hasn't fought in like 7 years, so who knows what we'll see from him. But, Lawler has looked pretty much spent in his last few fights too. I expect it to be entertaining one way or another.

Lawler has been more active if he is able to unload on Diaz it's over. I think this fight doesn't go the distance.

People care about Nick Diaz in 2021?
article-0-1A2B262D00000578-818_636x382.jpg

I’m not worried because I’m keeping my expectations low. The gangster version of Diaz has been gone for like 10 years — I expect he’ll look lackadaisical like he did against Anderson Silva.

Meanwhile, other than a quick burst against Askren, Robbie Lawler has shown no urgency or killer instinct in years. So I think this is probably a pretty safe fight for both guys. (And a boring one for the fans.)

Back