Ngannou, best case of being in the wrong era

The Chosen

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If this was any other era of MMA Francis would have been a household name and seen as an unstoppable champion, now the newer guys entering HW are much more technical and athletic than their HW predecessors. Now I’m almost certain Francis doesn’t even successfully defend his title once.

If I had to place an even odds before, I’d pick Gane to win, but this is MMA who the eff knows. I do know, however, that if Francis beats Gane, that Aspinall is the only guy who looks like he could possibly a challenge until Father Time does his thing.

If this was any other era of MMA Francis would have been a household name and seen as an unstoppable champion, now the newer guys entering HW are much more technical and athletic than their HW predecessors. Now I’m almost certain Francis doesn’t even successfully defend his title once.

Who else but Gane would you favor over Ngannou?

Nah. I think he walks slowly around the ring throwing bomb counter punches everytime Gane tries anything. One hit and Gane is done. As much as im a fane of Gane.

I mean it really is shitty for Francis that he's drawing what looks to be by far the trickiest fight at HW for his first title defense.

Kind of get Wilder vs Fury vibes from this matchup. Although Gane doesn't have much experience, he's at a stage where a fighter can make enormous amounts of progress in very small amounts of time. Francis might be fighting a much different fighter by the time the fight rolls around.

Him and Stipe benefitted from being in one of the weakest HW eras. Lots of faded old guys who were once good, mixed in with a few younger guys who were/are just mediocre.

Gane is the exception of course, and he is the only real threat to Ngannou.

You will look really stupid if Francis retains. What was the point in making this thread?

"the newer guys entering HW"

who else besides Ciryl Gane is on par with Ngannou athleticism wise?

who else besides Tom Aspinall could potentially grow enough to defeat Ngannou?

I'm not saying the new guys aren't good. I like Romonov, Pavlovich, Swolkov and such. They're really good but good enough to realistically beat Ngannou? Let's say Ngannou gets past Gane. Who else do you see having a more than 50/50 chance of beating him?

Sure there is HWs who can beat Francis, not many of them tho, and good luck fighting that guy for multiple fights and not getting knocked out.

Gane is Francis’s absolute worst stylistic matchup on the planet, it’s almost like he was tailor made to beat Francis... maybe his coach Fernand has been much more calculated than we think
Sure, but what the worst stylistic matchup for Gane? I don't see Gane ever being beaten over several rounds (Volkov had the best chance and he wasn't enough) so it has to be a guy who is especially good at catching people and putting them down with one punch.
So basically, Ngannou.

I don't know i would not count ngannou out that easy. I mean the guy is one the biggest HW with crazy reach, he's explosive like a nuclear missile, lightning fast, hits like a truck, and his game has improved a lot.
I don't think gane is as safe as some people think.

Back