Remember how stupid the Merab-Simon stoppage was?

Fesaine

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

One of the worst ref decisions in the last 10 years. Merab basically dominated him for the whole fight but got caught in a guillotine at the last 50 seconds of the third round. He didn't tap and survived the choke till the bell rang, but the ref decided that he was out after the fight ended.

Really Merab should be undefeated in the ufc because the judge robbed him in the Frankie fight while the ref robbed him in the ricky fight.

ricky-simon.gif

One of the worst ref decisions in the last 10 years. Merab basically dominated him for the whole fight but got caught in a guillotine at the last 50 seconds of the third round. He didn't tap and survived the choke till the bell rang, but the ref decided that he was out after the fight ended.

Really Merab should be undefeated in the ufc because the judge robbed him in the Frankie fight while the ref robbed him in the ricky fight.

If you're out when the final bell rings, you lose.
You can say what you will, but he was out for a second or two after Simon let the choke go, then he came back.
Totally fine call by the ref.

Nah, he was clearly out and if you can’t answer the bell you lose. He definitely had the far off stare and didn’t immediately respond when the submission was released. Imagine a fighter winning a decision when they were KO’d at the bell because the ref didn’t get there to stop it before the horn. It was a weird ending, but the correct call.

Clearly out then recovered.

ricky-simon.gif

Look at this gif and tell me he was capable of continuing.

Who the hell wouuld think he wasn't out by that gif loll. His arms are splayed, no fighting the hands to relieve the pressure and he is twitching.
There is two seconds where it looks like he wakes up. That's a good stoppage at anytime from this gif, but I didn't see it live.

ricky-simon.gif

Look at this gif and tell me he was capable of continuing.
He was definitely lacking oxygen, but a lot of fighters are at the end of their fights. They lay on the ground, sit immediately or lay on the cage, but it doesn't mean they wouldn't go if they needed to.
At the end of every round there are breaks for fighters to recover. They are supposed to move to their corners, but sometimes they need a moment to return on their feet.
At the end of the fight they can chill on the ground if they want because the fight is over. This decision was retarded.

Who the hell wouuld think he wasn't out by that gif loll. His arms are splayed, no fighting the hands to relieve the pressure and he is twitching.
There is two seconds where it looks like he wakes up. That's a good stoppage at anytime from this gif, but I didn't see it live.
His legs weren't twitching. Did you watch the video OP posted? He started moving his feet, so ref wouldn't stop the fight. It was more comfortable for him than moving his arms.

His legs weren't twitching. Did you watch the video OP posted? He started moving his feet, so ref wouldn't stop the fight. It was more comfortable for him than moving his arms.

I hadn't watched the video above. That why i said about the gif and how it llooked. I just watched the last 1:30 then.
I still think he went out at the end his arms slowly drop and there is a couple second delay once the choke is released. I have gone out from guillotines like that and woken up mid roll.
Unfortunate for Merab, but maybe he should have fought the choke instead of surviving. If it was decided as a decision I would have been happy if that was scored as a 10-8 for Simon even if Merab had absolutely dominated the previous round. That was as close a finish as you get if the ref got it wrong.

Back