Why is Lawler Macdonald 2 not Considered a Comeback?

EndlessCritic

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
When people talk about the greatest comebacks of all time, you never hear Lawler/Macdonald 2 mentioned. Yet Lawler was down three rounds to one on all three scorecards, and needed a finish to win (or a 10-8 for a draw.)

IMG_1651.0.0.jpg

Because they were close rounds, it's not like Lawler was getting destroyed and made some unbelievable recovery like Frankie - Maynard.
this.
That fight was such a war, I don't think anyone was thinking about scorecards.
And it was so crazy, so close, that only judges were thinking who was ahead or behind.

I think the reason for that might be that this fight had an almost cinematic quality to it.

You had the first act (first two rounds) where we had fighters feeling themselves out, not much of an action, let's call it a development of a character.

You had act two (round three and four) where the conflict escalates and the protagonist (Lawler in that case) faces multiple obstacles on the way to his goal (Rory's headkicks in that matter).

You had probably the best MMA interlude I've ever seen in my life, meaning the legendary staredown before round five, calm before the storm.

Then finally, you have the final act where the protagonist puts everything on the line and literally goes for the kill, overcoming every and each obstacle standing in his way.

TL;DR: This fight has so many legendary moments to it, it would be almost unfair to pin it down with just a comeback statement.
stare-down-robbie-lawler.gif

It's only a comeback if you've got a pencil in your hand while your watching. If you just watch it as a fan it wasn't a dominant performance until the last minute.

Goes to show fucked Rory's nose must have been. Still seems hard to believe (I know his nose was crushed) that he couldn't find a way to last the last round to win the title. Even clinching and shooting for a takedown or something to drain the close.

Rory was more damaged than Lawler, I had a feeling he was either going to get finished or it will be a 10-8 round for a draw.

Because we all saw the slow burn that would be Rorys soul being sapped bit by bit

Mainly because Rory won rds 3 and 4 with the flurries against the cage but apart from that it was a close fight where both guys looked like they were in danger.

I admittedly (like Firas) thought Rory would go on to win but that fight was too tense to be confident with it.

I was watching with friends and it was weird, we weren’t cheering like a fun fight it was the most intense fight I’ve seen.

Lawler's savageness and body language.

Rory was winning and hurting Lawler but Robbie kept on a good pokerface and showed that he is not going anywhere.

If there was anyone else in Robbie's position, I believe Rory would have won that night.

I have to rewatch it, cause my memory is foggy and all I remember is a back and forth war, but I had lawler winning on the scorecards by more damaging shots because of the obvious. Rory's nose was going to fall off anyways if it went the distance

I think the reason for that might be that this fight had an almost cinematic quality to it.

You had the first act (first two rounds) where we had fighters feeling themselves out, not much of an action, let's call it a development of a character.

You had act two (round three and four) where the conflict escalates and the protagonist (Lawler in that case) faces multiple obstacles on the way to his goal (Rory's headkicks in that matter).

You had probably the best MMA interlude I've ever seen in my life, meaning the legendary staredown before round five, calm before the storm.

Then finally, you have the final act where the protagonist puts everything on the line and literally goes for the kill, overcoming every and each obstacle standing in his way.

TL;DR: This fight has so many legendary moments to it, it would be almost unfair to pin it down with just a comeback statement.
stare-down-robbie-lawler.gif
Very interesting posture here..

Rory looked EXHAUSTED.

Robbie looks angry and determined.

He had a mountain to climb and he punched it in the face and shattered it's nose.

this.
That fight was such a war, I don't think anyone was thinking about scorecards.
And it was so crazy, so close, that only judges were thinking who was ahead or behind.
Obviously you didn't read the sherdog thread. Everyone was talking about how Robbie was behind

I have to rewatch it, cause my memory is foggy and all I remember is a back and forth war, but I had lawler winning on the scorecards by more damaging shots because of the obvious. Rory's nose was going to fall off anyways if it went the distance
Robbie was very clearly losing

Back