News Raphael Assunção vs Ricky Simón set for December 18th

3 fight losing skid veteran vs. 3 fight winning streak prospect. Do or die for Assuncao, this is his chance to prove he’s still a top guy and for Simon, a chance to show he belongs near the top of the division.

I would think this is the opportunity to move Simon into the rankings. I don't expect him to make the same mistakes he did against Faber and imo the pace he puts on will be too much for an aging Assuncao.

If Raphael loses this, he should retire. Nice step up for Ricky and a chance to prove himself. Raphael has looked so slow, as if he's lost three or four steps, not just one or two. I'm rooting for the veteran though. Assuncao is good people.

If Raphael loses this, he should retire. Nice step up for Ricky and a chance to prove himself. Raphael has looked so slow, as if he's lost three or four steps, not just one or two. I'm rooting for the veteran though. Assuncao is good people.
I used to train a bit with Assuncao (and his older bro Jr) in ATL years back. They are VERY GOOD people. . . but you pretty much reflect my sentiments on this issue exactly.
LOL, "heavy lies the crown" of rooting for the old vets, eh?

Fun fight. Simon should take it, but Assuncao is always game for a good fight

With Benavidez and Condit retiring, the WEC days winding down. :(

I used to train a bit with Assuncao (and his older bro Jr) in ATL years back. They are VERY GOOD people. . . but you pretty much reflect my sentiments on this issue exactly.
LOL, "heavy lies the crown" of rooting for the old vets, eh?

It's tough to see guys go out to the new guard, but it's the reality in a singular and tough sport. I can only imagine how good of a coach he is. I hope he wins. I don't think he will though.

3 fight losing skid veteran vs. 3 fight winning streak prospect. Do or die for Assuncao, this is his chance to prove he’s still a top guy and for Simon, a chance to show he belongs near the top of the division.
The dude's 39 in a division you shouldn't be 39 in. He hasn't fought in over a year, and his last fight ended in him being brutally knocked out.

Good fighter, good career, but he's not a top guy anymore. I don't see him beating anyone in the top 15 atm, and there are several unranked guys who would likely soundly beat him as well.

Going with the younger Simon. I’m not sure how Assuncao will recover from that brutal Cody Ko.

I don’t really wanna see either lose but hopefully Simon wins, gotta love a young guy making the jump.

Bruce Buffer is a giant compared to these two. If I can't make out the fighter during introductions because Bruce is blocking my view, I'm not watching the fight.

The dude's 39 in a division you shouldn't be 39 in. He hasn't fought in over a year, and his last fight ended in him being brutally knocked out.

Good fighter, good career, but he's not a top guy anymore. I don't see him beating anyone in the top 15 atm, and there are several unranked guys who would likely soundly beat him as well.

You're probably right. This is his chance to dispel that notion however.

Assuncao should've retired after that sickening punch from Cody. Plus the fact that he lost to Cody

Garbrant had to hold cage to balance him self and throw that punch.

Back