They are making the same mistake with Oliveira that they did with Poirier

JustOnce

On Hiatus
@Gold
Reaction score
I think they are making the same mistake with Oliveira that they made with Poirier, which was why Dustin was such a huge underdog against Max, Conor-2 and the fight was considered pretty close in a trilogy fight as well.

You can see what they were saying about Poirier in this thread.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/is-dustin-poirier-the-best-striker-in-the-lw-history.4190204/

I think people sometimes underestimate what hard work with high level training available to fighters right now can do to improve fighters, especially younger fighters, relatively speaking anyways.

People kept thinking Poirier is a wild brawler with suspect defense because he got dropped in a pretty spectacular manner and sort of disregarded the clear improvement Poirier made over time. He's way more technical than lot of people give him credit for and way better defensively sound.

However, I do it is true that Poirier's game hasn't really changed per se. He just refined his weapons very, very well.

I think I see something similar happening with Oliveira. He did also look like he found a way out earlier in his career here and there, and perhaps heart is something that can't be taught, and I haven't really payed a lot of attention to Oliveira to say exactly, but I do know he made a lot of improvements.

I think if Oliveira can avoid getting clipped by Poirier and survive the onslaught early, I think he has a pretty good chance of finishing Poirier. I just think people are making the same mistake of underestimating Oliveira like they did with Poirier, though this fight probably could go either way.

Both are great fighters, Charles is gunna hafta weather an early storm and get it to the ground for a finish. Poirier needs to keep it standing and pressure Oliveira when he can, especially against the cage.

Chuck has good striking it’s just Dustins is better.

It’s a coin flip for me. They both have routes to the win. And I’m honestly not sure who wins. But, I’m leaning towards Dustin, just because of power. And he’s no slouch on the ground.

But, I’d actually like to see Oliveira win the fight for a couple different reasons. It legitimizes his reign. And they can’t try to give Conor the most undeserved TS in the company’s history.

Dustin's hips are shot. Completely shot. They were never good to begin with, but after his labrum surgery you can tell they are completely fucked by the way he kicks and how stiffly he moves.

His sprawl is completely gone, he can't defend double legs due to his hips. That's why he always goes for the guillotine.

If Oliveira is smart, he gets him with a double early and wrecks him on the ground.

Dustin's hips are shot. Completely shot. They were never good to begin with, but after his labrum surgery you can tell they are completely fucked by the way he kicks and how stiffly he moves.

His sprawl is completely gone, he can't defend double legs due to his hips. That's why he always goes for the guillotine.

If Oliveira is smart, he gets him with a double early and wrecks him on the ground.
Really interesting theory... I hadn't noticed that. Tremendous eye if you're correct.

It will come down to wrestling IMO, if Oliveira can consistently get Dustin down he should win... even if he does that he needs a finish within three rounds... don't see him being able to handle Poirier in the 4th and 5th

Oliveira's win conditions are tough... definitely think Dustin should be the favorite

No. He's better, not worse. What the fudge

It will come down to wrestling IMO, if Oliveira can consistently get Dustin down he should win... even if he does that he needs a finish within three rounds... don't see him being able to handle Poirier in the 4th and 5th

Oliveira's win conditions are tough... definitely think Dustin should be the favorite

I think Oliveira's wrestling is better than Dustin's TDD, which is decent I guess. If he doesn't get caught early, I think he can finish him. I like Oliveira sub round 3, or Dustin by ko round 2.

His sprawl is completely gone, he can't defend double legs due to his hips. That's why he always goes for the guillotine. That hip surgery did no favors for his already questionable TDD.

Very few people have mentioned this, but I agree 100 percent. That hip surgery did absolutely no favors for his already questionable tdd.

Just wondering, is "payed" as opposed to "paid" another corny sherdog joke that was old and stale 10 years ago like "looser"?

Ok, I added the colorful biased ending. But for real, I've seen it a lot lately on here. Is it that people don't know? Or is it intentional?

He's definitely way better in general, but nobody has really tried to take him down recently other than Khabib that I can remember. I have no clue if his theory is correct though.

Dustin definitely has shitty hip mobility, and its true that you can see it by the way he kicks. After his hip surgery, he wasn't even trying to sprawl against Dan hooker of all people. I don't know how much of a factor it will be, but I truly doubt his wrestling will be the same as it used to be, and even if it is as good as it used to be, I'm not sure if that will be enough

I think Oliveira's wrestling is better than Dustin's TDD, which is decent I guess. If he doesn't get caught early, I think he can finish him. I like Oliveira sub round 3, or Dustin by ko round 2.
It's tough to say, even if he gets him down I think he will gas out before he gets the sub. It's so hard to submit guys as good as Dustin, Chandler was able to get out of really bad positions, I think Dustin will do the same

The main reason Dustin is so tough is his cardio and durability, I almost always pick the guy that doesn't require the finish to win

Dustin definitely has shitty hip mobility, and its true that you can see it by the way he kicks. After his hip surgery, he wasn't even trying to sprawl against Dan hooker of all people. I don't know how much of a factor it will be, but I truly doubt his wrestling will be the same as it used to be, and even if it is as good as it used to be, I'm not sure if that will be enough
I didn't even know he had hip surgery lol, if his sprawl is really that bad that's obviously a huge problem

Back