Media Is the UFC Making Too Many Rematches?

Is the UFC matchmaking becoming unimaginative?

• Total voters

Zebra Cheeks

Cheeky Bastard
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

That’s pretty damning. That means on average in our recent events 50% of the title fights are rematches. It’s really tiring for me personally. I enjoy new match ups and the unpredictability of going from style to style. I really feel like these rematches and trilogies are getting out of hand.

Last edited:
Yes, I was shocked the Moreno vs Figueiredo match has been booked a 3rd time in a row, why?!, its needless, there was a very clear winner, nothing controversial at all. Not needed at all. They tend to do a lot of rematches for flyweight and heavyweight title fights, I always noticed that over the years, if you really go back and look you will see how many of the title fights are rematches and trilogies, it just really shows how lacking the divisions are

Not if the wins are decisions or by cuts or super quick KOs

Conor in theory should of rematched Aldo

Nate vs Masvidal deserves a rematch. That fight should not have ended, if Koshcheck can fight 1 eye blind and that is allowed then Nate should of been allowed to continue

Even though it seems like the rematches are getting over-booked right now, it's probably the fight most fans would vote for if they polled the entire fanbase.

At women's 115, the biggest names are Rose, Joanna, and Zhang. The most deserving contender is Esparza, but the UFC knew that the Zhang Rose fight generates more attention overall.

Same with Moreno vs Davison. There are a few deserving contenders, but they aren't well known yet. Having Garbrandt go down to 125 allows for more attention to go to that division and build up other names. If he wins, then they'll probably give him a title shot, if he loses then his opponent gains popularity.

Yes. It's like they are TRYING to make the least interesting title fights. Not sure if it's just a bad coincidence or something we're gonna have to get used to.

This is why the MM/Rodtang matchup with the rulesets is intruiging. It's something fresh and it came just in the right time.

Yes, they are. I think this is also a part of a bigger issue, however.

While I champion the UFC and the quality of their match making, it is resulting in guys losing consistently and having issues going on long winning streaks against top competition. Most of the longer winning streaks these last few years are mostly outside of the top five or ten with a few exceptions. It's making it harder to create top level contenders in droves. I think this is why they're gravitating toward more proven names over and over and it's resulting in a lot of rematches.

That’s pretty damning. That means on average in our recent events 50% of the title fights are rematches. It’s really tiring for me personally. I enjoy new match ups and the unpredictability of going from style to style. I really feel like these rematches and trilogies are getting out of hand.

I hate to say it, but one might get the impression that the UFC has a vested interest in particular outcomes, and uses rematches as a means of possibly getting them.

We are going to start seeing quadrilogies and quintilogies soon, mark my words. What do you think happens if Fig beats Moreno or Max wins a third fight with Volk? And of course Conor/Poirier 4 is basically already booked for next year.

Back