What does Kamaru Usman need to do to surpass GSP as GOAT

Cowboy Kurt Angle

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
In my opinion if he can keep the knock outs in the early rounds like he has been doing lately he can enter goat status but as of right now GSP is the goat of WW

He already has imo . But I know that's super contestable and I'm not wedded to it . So to just put that aside I think 2-3 more wins especially if it's in spectacular fashion and he's done it . It's not just about the number of title defenses it's also about who you face and how you win and the objective abilities of a fighter as far as one can gage them . I really do think the sports on the verge of a new WW GOAT and I'm not even a huge Usman fan .
Also Colby vs Usman 1 is just one of the funnest fights I've ever seen it's awesome how exciting he's been lately whether or not that's just cause of the matchups he's been getting

Last edited:
In my opinion if he can keep the knock outs in the early rounds like he has been doing lately he can enter goat status but as of right now GSP is the goat of WW
Defend his belt like 9 times and be a dominate champions for over a decade. He will never pass GSP

He literally called out a fighter he had just beaten. An ex-LW no less. All he wants are money fights, against ex-LW.

When his top 10 wins equal GSP’s. When his title defences equal GSP’s. That’s when I’ll consider it. But, his call out of Masvidal for a rematch will always be a black eye on his legacy, he will never get back. He’s a cherry picking, looking for money fights guy. He is not, and will never be a “take on all comers” champion.

He needs to UD Dan Hardy

He's already decisioned Jorge "35–15" Masvidal, I'd argue that it's almost as good as beating Hardy. Plus, he fought him again after, as there were still questions after the first bout apparently.
GSP vs Hardy 2 would have been laughable.

I'm a notorious GSP nuthugger, but if Usman wins his next couple fights against elite challengers in dominant fashion, I'll be ready to put him next to St-Pierre at WW.
And I won't even be mad about it.

What does Izzy need to do to surpass Anderson?
(I'll make the "piss hot twice, grab shorts and grease, tap out to undersized cans and defend his belt against WWs and Stephan Bonnar" jokes so we can quickly move on)

Usman is a great fighter, but defenses against journeymen like Masvidal and Burns aren’t going to help his claims for GOAT status. Not his fault, but WW is weak right now.

Well, let's just compare and see the differencial.

Usman has been top 5 since the second half of 2018 => that's 3.5 years.
GSP has been top 5 from early 2004 to 2014 (at least) => that's 10 years.

Usman has been n°1 of the 170lbs since late 2018 => that's almost 3 years.
GSP has been n°1 of the 170lbs from 2007 to 2014, with arguably a gap of a year with the Matt Serra reign => that's at least 6 years.

Usman has beaten 7 opponents ranked in the top 10 at the moment of the fight and 6 ranked top 5. (rankings based on fightmatrix which in that case seems fair).
GSP beat 18 guys ranked top 10 with 14 being top 5.

Back