@Blue
Reaction score
What’s everyone’s opinion on the following regarding Shogun and Wanderlei

Which had the best career if you consider

Titles / Belts
Opponents
Best 5 wins

Shogun had the better career, but Wand is more impactful for MMA

Shogun won titles in both Pride and the UFC, and has named like Overeem, Machida (when everyone thought he was invincible), Chuck Liddell, Rampage and Lil Nog. Wand's top 5 wins in my opinion are Saku, Dan Henderson, Rampage, Bisping and Arona. However from 2000 to 2007, Wanderlei was the embodiment of Pride

If you'd walk the streets of Brazil and ask who's greater: Nog, Wand or Shogun, the order would likely be that.

It's hard to compare them as Wand has like twice the fights. So the warrior award goes to him. Shogun faced stiffer competition more consistently, so from a sports perspective he has a better resume. But for war Wanderlei wins.

I was lucky enough to watch of their careers from the start to end. I would say Shogun had the better career. Wand has a excellent run as MW champ in Pride and was super dominant during his era. But I feel Shogun performed better at a higher level and accomplished more vs a higher level of competition. Wanderlei is my all time favorite fighter but I can admit his competition wasn't as strong as Shoguns. Wand has some very good wins, Rampage 2x, Mezger, Hendo, Arona, Yoshida, 2x, Sak 3x. But I think Shoguns wins were better and he won the UFC LHW belt.

What’s everyone’s opinion on the following regarding Shogun and Wanderlei

Which had the best career if you consider

Titles / Belts
Opponents
Best 5 wins

I think Shogun will be judged as a better career since he fought higher caliber fighters when he came to the UFC. He beat Chuck where Silva lost to Chuck. The first fight in the UFC I kept asking myself why only 1 kick during a whole round. In pride his mix up with kicks where his bread and butter. Well, I found out he destroyed his knees before entering the UFC....Had shogun's knees been fine I think he would have won allot more in the UFC.

However, in pride Wanderlei was in his prime. His style of aggression cracks the chin that shortens a career. Beat Jackson twice who was better than a prime Chuck with an amazing chin. Its hard to judge though when you put both records side by side. Without the UFC bias I would put them as even.

Rua because he proved to be the best in an organization not run by a maffia propping up Japanese actors.

Shogun because the deciding factor is that he was able to get UFC Gold beating legit fighters. Wand’s weight and balls got him into higher profile fights in Pride but he also took some L’s during that period.

If you'd walk the streets of Brazil and ask who's greater: Nog, Wand or Shogun, the order would likely be that.

It's hard to compare them as Wand has like twice the fights. So the warrior award goes to him. Shogun faced stiffer competition more consistently, so from a sports perspective he has a better resume. But for war Wanderlei wins.

You know Brazil well playboy?

what would have happened if they have met in 2005 final? really the shogun was able to losse on purpose?

15684dda724a8d62b1d6031f82b95370.jpg

Shogun won a Pride Grand Prix that Wanderlei was a part of.
To win that tournament- Shogun fought and beat Rampage, Little Nog, Overeem, and Arona...

Then, Shogun singlehandedly ended the 'Machida Era', en route to becoming the UFC LHW Champion.

Shogun would lose the belt to Jones, after coming back from more kneed operation... and there wasn't another LHW champion till Jones decided to give up the belt.

Prime Shogun vs Jon Jones would have been VERY interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back