Maybe we've previously covered how stupid UFC rankings are, but....

fzoid4454

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Last updated, Mon. Aug 2

MW rankings - #8 Uriah Hall (up 3 positions)
#11 - Sean Strickland (down 1 position)

So, before the fight, Strickland was #10, Hall #11, Strickland wins 50-45, 50-44 and 49-46, and Hall moves up three spots, leapfrogging the previously higher-ranked Strickland, and Strickland gets pushed down one to Hall's old spot?

Okay.

Pretty sure that’s just an error and Strickland and Hall should be flipped. Whoever runs the UFC website sucks and has for years. Funny enough, the official ufc website is one of the least reliable to get ufc information from.

Last edited:
Strickland says he's probably the last guy ufc wants as champ.

Dominates higher ranked opponent than himself. Drops in rank and is lower than guy he just beat. Story checks out.

Strickland to the idiot intern that fucked up the latest rankings..

200.gif

Reactions: HHJ
Last updated, Mon. Aug 2

So, before the fight, Strickland was #10, Hall #11, Strickland wins 50-45, 50-44 and 49-46, and Hall moves up three spots, leapfrogging the previously higher-ranked Strickland, and Strickland gets pushed down one to Hall's old spot?

Okay.

That page is always glitching

Here are the actual UFC rankings.

0AC77AC1-BDE5-42CD-8411-B427454D4FE8.jpeg

Last updated, Mon. Aug 2

Okay.

Yeah, that happens every week when they first update. Names stay in the same position but arrows indicate changes that haven't happened yet. I usually give it by Wednesday morning until changes actually go in effect.

A lot of divisions top ten rankings seem pretty bare with fighters that have a lot of suspect records.

P4P is meaningless but it gives us nerds something to talk about.

Last updated, Mon. Aug 2

Okay.
See below:
  • Only less than half of the above media members have a primary focus on MMA.
  • Roughly one-third of the above media members don't even (primarily) cover sports.
  • At least two of the above media members' domains are for sale.
  • A good portion of the above media members are nothing more than Facebook/Twitter pages.
This is who votes on the rankings.

ah yes! good memory buddeh! the names were totally skipping my mind when i made the post. thanks for that!

*found what i was looking for.*

@acannxr

And here's evidence of the UFC telling the media who to vote for, based on marketing.

The UFC's rankings are a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously.

There isn't a single site where rankings will please everyone, but in general, the UFC rankings are pretty bad compared to most (all?) sites. I'd use Sherdog rankings over UFC rankings (again, yes there are always gonna be some rankings which may not make sense to everyone).

Pretty sure that’s just an error and Strickland and Hall should be flipped. Whoever runs the UFC website sucks and has for years. Funny enough, the official ufc website is one of the least reliable to get ufc information from.
I did see a Tweet posted to Dana's account, asking where resumes should be sent for the soon-to-be-open web monkey position.

See below:

This is who votes on the rankings.

And here's evidence of the UFC telling the media who to vote for, based on marketing.

The UFC's rankings are a joke and shouldn't be taken seriously.
No, that's not an accurate description of who votes for the rankings.

They have specific members of the media who they ask to be part of the voting panel. It's not a free-for-all where anyone who draws a check as a sportswriter can vote if they feel like it. They're not asking the members of the media who don't cover, know about or care about the sport to be a part of that process. But your claim that members of that panel pretty much will follow UFC's marching orders? I don't KNOW that it is or isn't true, but if I had to bet the house on one, it would be your take on how that works, for sure.

But, yes they are a joke, regardless. However, this one is more clearly a web site content person screw up. If you click on #11 Strickland's name, it brings up his individual profile which lists a #8 ranking.

No, that's not an accurate description of who votes for the rankings.
Yes, it is, because I looked into every media member that was listed with voting power in the UFC rankings; there were many that didn't cover MMA, many that didn't cover sports at all, many that were nothing more than Facebook/Twitter pages, and in the case of Vladusport and Bursprak their website domains were indeed for sale.

It's not a free-for-all where anyone who draws a check as a sportswriter can vote if they feel like it.
Except I never said such a thing.

But your claim that members of that panel pretty much will follow UFC's marching orders? I don't KNOW that it is or isn't true, but if I had to bet the house on one, it would be your take on how that works, for sure.
The UFC sends memos to each media member who votes and tells them how, as shown below:

And this is coming from a media member who votes on the UFC rankings:
My MMA News: An internet resource for MMA news, interviews, and headlines on the latest in mixed martial arts.

fzoid4454 said:
It's not a free-for-all where anyone who draws a check as a sportswriter can vote if they feel like it.

Except I never said such a thing.

Okay, you quoted yourself making reference to "above" without showing what that was, and I took that for a general, overall reference. Probably when you said "this is who votes" you meant "this is referring to who votes."

As for the rest, please note, someone saying the UFC is trying to tell them what to do doesn't necessarily mean they do it (hence, that person kind of blowing the whistle on it. Do you think he'd do their bidding, and THEN rat them out, as well?), and also note that I said I absolutely thought your claim about that seemed credible.

Okay, you quoted yourself making reference to "above" without showing what that was, and I took that for a general, overall reference. Probably when you said "this is who votes" you meant "this is referring to who votes."

As for the rest, please note, someone saying the UFC is trying to tell them what to do doesn't necessarily mean they do it (hence, that person kind of blowing the whistle on it. Do you think he'd do their bidding, and THEN rat them out, as well?), and also note that I said I absolutely thought your claim about that seemed credible.
Fair enough.

Back