I revisited Rockhold-Machida. Machida changed his style

Swepingright

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's funny how ones memory can be foggy.

Machida changed his style and stood closer, was more active.... Not the evasion that won him the belt. I don't remember that at all.

I guess you are too much into the moment when you watch it the first time

Are you sure it wasn't the lack of magic pee that cost him the win :D
lyoto-machida-and-father-drink-urine.jpeg

Why fix something that isn't broken? Karate guys need room.. Same with TKD folks. That's their bread and butter

Rockholds grappling was something else. His striking suffered from arrogance.

Rockhold didn't have a chin. Doesn't matter if he's Steven Seagal.. The guy can't take a punch

Last edited:
Are you sure it wasn't the lack of magic pee that cost him the win :D
lyoto-machida-and-father-drink-urine.jpeg

I don't care how good drinking piss is for you

There are so many different ways to become strong

all i remember was knowing Rockhold would get brutally KO'd by someone after that fight. i remember him smashing the fuck out of Machida on the ground, and in the next rd, a dazed and confused Machida was still able to outstrike him until getting dropped by a missed right hook that turned into a clothesline.

Luke accidentally struck him in the neck. Otherwise Machida wins easily.

I remember that elbow at the end of the first being almost sickening.

Why fix something that isn't broken? Karate guys need room.. Same with TKD folks. That's their bread and butter

Machida's boxing close in has always looked pretty questionable, he throws that straight counter incredibly well but something like the finish of Rashad was just ugly brawling for an elite fighter.

I spose you could maybe see why style wise as Rockhold's boxing is also as we've seen pretty questionable close in.

Rockholds grappling was something else. His striking suffered from arrogance.
Rockhold got luck in this fight with Machida falling down 2 times, which Rockhold got top control. Same with his fight vs Weidman. Maybe if Rockhold had actual good takedowns and tried that approach more than just being a standup guy, he could have done a lot better.

Machida's boxing close in has always looked pretty questionable, he throws that straight counter incredibly well but something like the finish of Rashad was just ugly brawling for an elite fighter.

I spose you could maybe see why style wise as Rockhold's boxing is also as we've seen pretty questionable close in.

Machida has excellent punch mechanics but he doesn't know how to move in those ranges and Rockhold was way too dangerous. Rockhold is literally the best striker he had faced and that's when he decided to let his hands go. Lunacy

Rockhold got luck in this fight with Machida falling down 2 times, which Rockhold got top control. Same with his fight vs Weidman. Maybe if Rockhold had actual good takedowns and tried that approach more than just being a standup guy, he could have done a lot better.

Machida didn't fall. Rockhold necked him

Back