If Dan Hooker and Calvin Kattar were in the same weight class, who would you favor?

taugrim

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Both fighters have similar strengths:
  • Excellent power and precision in their boxing
  • Good reach and for the most part they know how to capitalize on it (aside from the Chandler fight for Hooker)
  • Excellent cardio
  • Strong chins
My impression is that Kattar has slightly better striking defense. Aside from the Holloway fight, Kattar has been able to keep opponents at range. Whereas Hooker has a tendency to leave his chin exposed and absorb a lot of punishment.

Would definitely be 1 of the better boxing matches in mma, but I'd say Hooker with his knees possibly makes the difference.

Hooker's chin might be fading tho after seeing him vs Chandler. He's taken lots of punishment vs Barboza, Felder, Poirier.

Dan hooker has absolutely GARBAGE cardio. He's almost as bad as conor. What you talking about man? Seriously. Excellent cardio?

Hard to believe Dan actually fought at that weight. I think he should test the waters at WW because he still cuts too much and that is why he looks like shit. imho

HalfScaryAmberpenshell-max-1mb.gif

<{1-1}>

Dan hooker has absolutely GARBAGE cardio. He's almost as bad as conor. What you talking about man? Seriously. Excellent cardio?
Garbage? If you're talking about the Porter fight ,both guys were wasted from the pace. Barboza fight? Edson beat the shit out of that tall lanky body. He's no Diaz brother, but Dan Hooker hasn't really had any gas issues that I could remember.

Hooker isn't even a top 20 LW in terms of skill

Just got there from beating Vick and Iaquinta lmao

There are like 15 unranked LWs that I'd pick over him

Hooker is one of the best at slipping punches in the UFC.
Kattar, not so much.

Kattar.

I really NEVER got the hooker hype. Dont get me wrong , tough & exciting but never upper tier talent.

The damage taken in last 3, mileage wise, Dan should take a less friendly fan approach in his next couple. His wires could be short circuited already for all we know.

Last edited:
Hooker would piece him up with his kicks and knees.

Dan is usually slick for about 1 and a half rounds. Kattar has great cardio and could get the tko or win rounds 2 & 3 after getting his leg fucked up for the first 5 minutes. In 5 rounds Kattar easily. 3 rounds would be close imo

Garbage? If you're talking about the Porter fight ,both guys were wasted from the pace. Barboza fight? Edson beat the shit out of that tall lanky body. He's no Diaz brother, but Dan Hooker hasn't really had any gas issues that I could remember.
Felder.

Kattar for sure. Outside of Max Holloway, Kattar is gonna put a hurting on most strikers. Dan is no different. I feel like he would eventually have to resort to takedowns to try and pull out a W.

Yeah, that Porter fight , amazing. Love Porter!!!!!!

Back