Can DW’s contenders produce great prospects and future champions?

TheSpider

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Seems to me like most of these contender series “prospects” are stand and bang bar room brawlers, not young phenoms, blue chip prospects, or future world champions. What do you think?

Dana's not worried about that at all. Just needs bodies to fill the cards and a "reason" to promote them.
tenor.gif

There's been some decent prospects in Yussuf, Geoff Neal and Yanez in their divisions probably was Bryce Mitchell on the series aswell?

I guess only time will tell, a lot of TUF guys exceeded after the series as the rosters were so small. Would someone like Joe Stevenson earn title shots in this day and age in the current LW title picture? Probably but just a sign of the times.

Maybe a few (O’Malley is a star tbh) but not many. Most blue chip prospects (like Khamzat) aren’t coming up through the contender series. It’s mostly for American stand and bangers. But that’s just not the MMA meta. The dudes who get crazy KOs on DWCS are usually just gonna get grinded down by some veteran or get wrestle****ed by some 11-0 Russian

There's been some decent prospects in Yussuf, Geoff Neal and Yanez in their divisions probably was Bryce Mitchell on the series aswell?

I guess only time will tell, a lot of TUF guys exceeded after the series as the rosters were so small. Would someone like Joe Stevenson earn title shots in this day and age in the current LW title picture? Probably but just a sign of the times.

No, Bryce was from TUF.

Seems to me like most of these contender series “prospects” are stand and bang bar room brawlers, not young phenoms, blue chip prospects, or future world champions. What do you think?
The MMA world is a giant pyramid in which very few will ever reach the top. Of course the vast majority of fighters on DWCS will never amount to anything. That's a statistical certainty. But there will always be diamonds in the rough.

The biggest horseshit is the line that the elite guys would have made it to the UFC anyways. This is utter nonsense, and ignores the completely random way in which fighters make it to the UFC.

Contender series has produced some good talents. Most likely will produce a champion one day. However, Dana clearly favors spectacle over skill so a sizable portion of the fighters that come off the show will be lower level brawlers. Dana is much more likely to sign the guy that had a bloody, sloppy war than the guy that put on a surgical “boring” performance.

The MMA world is a giant pyramid in which very few will ever reach the top. Of course the vast majority of fighters on DWCS will never amount to anything. That's a statistical certainty. But there will always be diamonds in the rough.
Exactly.

It's a numbers game. Bring in enough DWCS guys and you will eventually have one get a belt, especially if they get favorable promotion and matchmaking.

As we have already seen, an elite fighter can come from anywhere.

Pleasure man is coming to change the LHW divisions bum lives this year.

ezgif-4695593-c-9-ae-39-1617343778784.gif

Pleasure man bless.

Contender series has produced some good talents. Most likely will produce a champion one day. However, Dana clearly favors spectacle over skill so a sizable portion of the fighters that come off the show will be lower level brawlers. Dana is much more likely to sign the guy that had a bloody, sloppy war than the guy that put on a surgical “boring” performance.

DWCS is about intent to finish generally. If a grappler fights with finishing intent then they usually get a contract. If they fight for position and stall a lot then they won't, but then neither will a point fighting striker not really looking to KO the other dude.

This season is incredibly strong because the UFC seems to have pivoted to offering mainly contender series, take it or leave it type contracts.

So to answer your question the potential is definitely there to do so but we'll have to see who gets contracts.

The LHW rankings right now have 4 guys from DWCS: (Hill, Crute, Spann, Walker.)

Yeah, there's quite a few ranked guys overall. I think of those Crute is the only one who I could see maybe seriously contending for the belt given time though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
F5CHAMPIONSHIP
Back