Fighters with the toughest opening fights in UFC history (Yuji Nagata Award)

How about Patrick Cummins facing
DC as his first fight in the UFC!!! :eek:
Daniel_Cormier_vs._Pat_Cummins_2.gif

Patrick Cummins had DC in his first fight, lasted about as long as anyone expected. At least Cummins still made a decent enough career off the back of it and holds a win over the current champ still.

Darrell Horcher aswell?

Who was the WMMA fighter who fought Valentina in her first fight and got beat so bad that we haven't seen Yamasaki reffing in the UFC since?

Patrick Cummins had DC in his first fight, lasted about as long as anyone expected. At least Cummins still made a decent enough career off the back of it and holds a win over the current champ still.

Darrell Horcher aswell?

Who was the WMMA fighter who fought Valentina in her first fight and got beat so bad that we haven't seen Yamasaki reffing in the UFC since?

Priscilla Cachoiera. Yamasaki said he didn't stop the fight sooner because he wanted to "let her be a warrior" lmao

In PRIDE, Dong's opening fight were against Sakuraba. His very first pro fight. His very third pro fight against Rampage. His very fourth pro fight, all of which happened in PRIDE, was against Bustamante. So this was pretty bad too

Houston Alexander faced Keith (the dean of mean) Jardine in his first.

Btw
If Jardine's last name were Johnson, the nickname Dean of Mean would make no sense.

After that wins, we knew that Houston was FOR REAL.

((I kinda miss Joe and Goldie as a duo tbh))

Last edited:
Not sure this will be first place, but Moraes had to debut against Assuncao, followed by Dodson, followed by Sterling. Actually, look at his entire UFC career! He's also fought Sandhagen, Font, Cejudo, Aldo, etc.

For this my pick is

Terrion Ware. Not many knows him but, and it's not against the big names necessarily but, this guy would get

Cody Stamman (14-1 when they fought, 19-4 now)
Sean O'Malley (8-0, then 14-1 now)
Tom Duquesnoy (15-2, then retired)
Merab Dvashvili (7-4, 13-4 now) * Merab lost two in a row in the UFC, but he got robbed in the first and the ref gifted the decision away from Merab in the second.

That is probably without a doubt the TOUGHEST four fight stretches into your UFC career. He would go 0-4.

I dare anybody to do better but I doubt it. Lesnar comes to mind too with his Mir-Herring-Mir-Couture-Carwin-Cain-Overeem though I guess.

I still think Ware's were tougher. Those four in a row against Mir-Herring-Mir-Couture given Lesnar's size and wrestling ability and power.

Last edited:
Lucio Linhares got beaten by Paul Harris and Yushin Okami in his first two UFC fights and was subsequently cut. Maybe not the toughest opening but deserves an honorable mention at least.

Ware's have to be toughest, because when it comes to toughest, you have to take into relative abilities too.

I think Ware has a good argument for the toughest opening fights as is, but if you take into consideration what Ware was as a fighter, and the level of his opponents, that HAS to be the toughest stretches of four fights into your UFC career.

Not sure this will be first place, but Moraes had to debut against Assuncao, followed by Dodson, followed by Sterling. Actually, look at his entire UFC career! He's also fought Sandhagen, Font, Cejudo, Aldo, etc.
His win over Jimmie Rivera was insane at the time as well. Moraes was smoking dudes

Back