Armenians can fight!

M.U.S.C.L.E.

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Karo Parisyan, Marat Grigorian, Georgi Karakhanyan, Harut Grigorian, Edmen Shahbazyan, Arman Tsarukyan, Gegard Mousasi, and now Melsik Baghdasaryan!

What is it about Armenians that make them such great fighters? I would point to culture, but the diaspora has led to great Armenian fighters coming from all over the world. So perhaps not local culture (e.g., Dagestanis wrestling bears and practicing Sambo since before walking), but is there something else in Armenian culture being passed along?

They were the target of a genocide in the early 20th century (leading to the diaspora) and as you can imagine it is still a very sensitive subject especially because Turkey stills denies any wrongdoing on their part. Having something like that so embedded in their cultural identity definitely invokes some kind of warrior spirit.

Also when you look at where their country is located geographically they have a bunch of neighboring countries they have poor relations with, which I imagine leads to a more combat ready mindset.

I think its natural if nationalistic to equate a race of people with fighters but the truth is that all races have good fighters.

Karo Parisyan, Marat Grigorian, Georgi Karakhanyan, Harut Grigorian, Edmen Shahbazyan, Arman Tsarukyan, Gegard Mousasi, and now Melsik Baghdasaryan!

What is it about Armenians that make them such great fighters? I would point to culture, but the diaspora has led to great Armenian fighters coming from all over the world. So perhaps not local culture (e.g., Dagestanis wrestling bears and practicing Sambo since before walking), but is there something else in Armenian culture being passed along?
i understand . but we can make a list of every countries greatest fighters ?

Persecution even while in their own country has led to them to have to be tough, aggressive, and stick together tightly to not be messed with. Those factors usually breed and create tough people.

Humans can fight!
Humans two favorite pastimes>>> making war and making babies.

8 fighters across 2 combat sports (since you included kickboxers) is a very small sample TBH
There are only 3 million people in Armenia. Worldwide, the Armenian population is maybe double that.

They were the target of a genocide in the early 20th century (leading to the diaspora) and as you can imagine it is still a very sensitive subject especially because Turkey stills denies any wrongdoing on their part. Having something like that so embedded in their cultural identity definitely invokes some kind of warrior spirit.

Also when you look at where their country is located geographically they have a bunch of neighboring countries they have poor relations with, which I imagine leads to a more combat ready mindset.
The "do you know who the fuck I am??" mindset

lol I agree tho.

that region of the world between the black and caspian sea's breeds tough people.

It's been that way since before recorded history.

Aside from the reasons mentioned above, the Caucasus nations have always had a strong wrestling tradition. Then there's the influence of Russian sambo on ex-Soviet countries which helps pave the way to MMA.

when you come from terrible conditions this happens. when your from a 1st World country fighting is looked down on

Aside from the reasons mentioned above, the Caucasus nations have always had a strong wrestling tradition. Then there's the influence of Russian sambo on ex-Soviet countries which helps pave the way to MMA.
Yes, but half of these talented fighters weren't born in or didn't grow up in Armenia.

Waiting for the Azerbaijanis to enter the chat now.

giphy.gif

Armenians have been warriors since the Byzantine Empire

You forgot to mention Giorgio Petrosyan, who is considered one of the greatest kickboxers of all-time. They’ve also had a number of boxing champions as well.

Wonderful people.

I live in Burbank Ca which is next door to Glendale Ca, the Armenian capitol of California.

The young Gen Z guys all drive BMW's or Benz's, always look "pissed the fuck off" and one word away from a fight.

And yeah they can fight.

Back