Top 2008-2014 LWs(BJ, Pettis, Bendo, Thomson, Giblert, Prime Eddie etc) > Gaethje, Poirer, Conor,etc

Shoden

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't get all this Gaethje/Poirer/Chandler/Conor/Modern LWs hype, I honestly don't see anything so amazing that we haven't seen from previous LWs before, they are not above and beyond them at all.....

Seems like they are overhyped to shit to make Conor/Khabib look amazing....Props to the UFC propaganda machine.

But if you look at reality, 2008-2014 LWs most likely destroy these dudes....Prime BJ/Pettis/Bendo/Thomson/Giblert would've beaten them, their skill is way too much.

Take for example Prime BJ penn, Freddie roach said his boxing was amazing....he would've done great against poirer/conman/gaethje....Probably sub'd some of them too......BJ would've killed Dariush, just imagine prime bj vs that guy lol.

Prime Eddie, the eddie before the UFC, would've also smashed many UFC top 10s(would've killed Gaethje even worse).....Prime eddie was faster/stronger/better chin/ deadlier than UFC eddie, anybody with eyes could see this.

oezc49iogye11.gif

I mean nate diaz couldn't handle the top guys....but he could totally handle the top LWs today.

So yeah, these LWs todays aren't that special compared to the past.

The BJ hate has gotten ridiculous, yes. He'd be a top guy today. Pettis and Bendo would be good, I don't see them beating Poirier, Gaethje, Oliveira, etc. though. Gilbert LMFAO

LW has been stacked with skilled, well rounded guys for a long time now. Conor wouldn’t be competitive with any of the “old” LWs, but Poirier and Gaethje match up quite nicely with all of them. Imagine Gaethje and prime Bendo trading leg kicks. LW hasn’t declined or improved. If anything, it has pretty much plateaued. Khabib is an outlier, his MMA grappling is more dominant than anything we’ve ever seen at LW.

I’d also like to add prime LW Frankie to that list. Imagine him and current Poirier going into deep waters.

I mean nate diaz couldn't handle the top guys....but he could totally handle the top LWs today.
Nate got a TS back then.. WTF are you talking about? He would get obliterated by any top 5 now.

He was a bum back then and he is a bum now.

I don't buy it. None of those past great LW's "destroy" the current crop of talent.

Poirier and Gaethje are utterly horrendous matchups for Bendo.

Also how on Earth do you think Anthony Pettis who historically struggles with pressure fighters is going to beat Justin Gaethje?

The past lw's got killed by new guys who got killed by the guys fighting today (Except Khabib). I don't get prime Eddie part either. He was fighting his best fights and competition in 2010-2013 but he still did lose to Cerrone (A fight that I called here perfectly).

I always say it.
Before McGregor, Penn was the king of 1st rounds. He usually won the first round regardless of opponent. A tactical genius in his prime, just spotty as hell when it came to conditioning. The archetype of talent without hard work.

Compare the Top 15 now compared to back then. The division is much more stacked. Nate Diaz also earned a titleshot back then, so that point makes no sense

Prime Pettis lost to Clay Guida lol.

Compare the Top 15 now compared to back then. The division is much more stacked. Nate Diaz also earned a titleshot back then, so that point makes no sense
The main reason was that it was more spread out. From ~2008-10 DREAM/Strikeforce had better a better pool of lightweights then UFC by a considerable margin.

Nate Diaz was shamelessly ducking Khabib back then.

Er49pjpXEAQxyfv.jpg

Nate got a TS back then.. WTF are you talking about? He would get obliterated by any top 5 now.

He was a bum back then and he is a bum now.
If his Title shot against RDA was in the streetz it’d be a wrap.

I didn't read your thread, but good job spelling Giblert correctly in the thread title.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cartoonq123
Back