MMA gloves originate from Bruce Lee's Enter the Dragon

TheMaster

Take The Road To Reality
@red
Reaction score
It's official!
At least according to this article the inspiration for MMA gloves come from Lee's Enter the dragon scene where they allowed for striking and grappling which was adaptation from his training.

The Godfather of MMA, Bruce Lee
bruce-lee-ojcem-mma-4.jpg

"It may sound weird, but if you recall the movie “Enter The Dragon (1973)”, you may remember the first-ever mixed martial artist, Bruce Lee wearing strange gloves.
Although they were similar to regular winter gloves, this broken-knuckle kempo looking gloves were smaller than boxing 8 oz and the space for the fingers was suitable for grappling, clinching and wrestling.
Considering the popularity of the movie and Bruce Lee as an actor, it’s reasonable to believe the creators got their first idea in the movie theater."

The inspiration for what we see today.

Way ahead of his time..

Inspired so many..

tumblr_p2e72tJ9Pa1wni6p9o1_400.gifv

Weren't they already in forms of point karate?

Was it Tank Abbott that first wore them in the UFC?

I'm sure people on here will still find a way to shit on it because it involves Bruce Lee.

It's official!
At least according to this article the inspiration for MMA gloves come from Lee's Enter the dragon scene where they allowed for striking and grappling which was adaptation from his training.

The Godfather of MMA, Bruce Lee
View attachment 870885

"It may sound weird, but if you recall the movie “Enter The Dragon (1973)”, you may remember the first-ever mixed martial artist, Bruce Lee wearing strange gloves.
Although they were similar to regular winter gloves, this broken-knuckle kempo looking gloves were smaller than boxing 8 oz and the space for the fingers was suitable for grappling, clinching and wrestling.
Considering the popularity of the movie and Bruce Lee as an actor, it’s reasonable to believe the creators got their first idea in the movie theater."

The inspiration for what we see today.

Jesus Christ. Hope you aren’t trying to get into law school with your level or logic and reading comprehension.

‘It’s official’ vs some random basement writer dude writing ‘it’s reasonable’.

Jesus Christ. Hope you aren’t trying to get into law school with your level or logic and reading comprehension.

‘It’s official’ vs some random basement writer dude writing ‘it’s reasonable’.
Theres more than 'random dudes' saying this. It's probably the strongest theory out there and definately the case where such gloves and such a format of combat got by far the most worldwide publicity makes it the most likely theory.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-18738422

I'm sure people on here will still find a way to shit on it because it involves Bruce Lee.
Yes, unfortunately it was a cowardly mod who found a way this time by moving the thread immediately to an obscure sub forum.

Last edited:
A bit ridiculous. I wonder which mod?
I tried pm'ing one but they wouldn't say. Yes very ridiculous. You can try if you want, I think Bruce deserves more respect especially as this theory is one of the widely regarded ones for what inspired the mma format we see, yet I have yet to see anything about it before and the Bruce insulting has become a fashion round here now.

Bruce suffers from the same thing as Manny Pacquiao. Both are legends as martial artists but the problem is their delusional fan base.

I mean bikers in the 50s figured out that fingerless gloves are good for grabbing things too. This is not rocket science.

Bruce suffers from the same thing as Manny Pacquiao. Both are legends as martial artists but the problem is their delusional fan base.

I mean bikers in the 50s figured out that fingerless gloves are good for grabbing things too. This is not rocket science.
He popularized the concept first seen by millions and the direct link to what we see in modern MMA. So he deserves much of the credit for this.
20210921_103907.gif

So Bruce Lee is the piece of crap who set us down the path of Muay Thai without boxing gloves? If he was water I'd freaking boil him.

He popularized the concept first seen by millions and the direct link to what we see in modern MMA. So he deserves much of the credit for this.
View attachment 892624

What about knights who wore hand protection more specifically brigandine gauntlets and the old historical leather kendo/fencing hand protection. Finger protection has been around for 100s of years before Bruce Lee was born. They're not a new concept he's just adapted an old one.

Last edited:
What about knights who wore hand protection more specifically brigandine gauntlets and the old historical leather kendo/fencing hand protection. Finger protection has been around for 100s of years before Bruce Lee was born. They're not a new concept he's just adapted an old one.
What about them? You are describing hand protection for sword arts, a different thing.
I have heard that in Chinese boxing they would use makeshift gloves made of straw also hundreds of years ago...
The fact is Bruce adapted these style of open finger gloves in the modern era and set a template seen by millions that likely inspired the type used in modern MMA

Back