Jorge Masvidal vs Nate Diaz 2 - Why hasn't this rematch happened?

Zyklon R

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Both fighters wanted it. The fans would enjoy it and it would gather viewers, everyone would get paid.

The first fight was great. Diaz was just getting started and Masvidal didn't baptise him (according to Jorge).

The fight ended in unspectacular fashion and I think the rematch would be a good fight to make right now.

Because UFC made their money, both Jorge and Nate move the needle, so they needed to use their star power to make money off other fighters that dont move the Needle; Usman & Edwards..
Usman has got some of that shine now KO'ing Jorge.. but Leon didnt get any shine for beating Nate- but money was made regardless
3 Fights (Usman 1 & 2, and Leon) is better than a rematch, more money in UFC's pockets

If Nick gets through Lawler with decent skill set

we'll see Nick defend his baby brother.

you dont talk about babtizing my baby brother

and if you do !! Thats on you !!

Because Masvidal beat the shit out of Nate to the point anybody who enjoys competitive fights, and especially want Nate to have more fights/longer career wouldn't advocate for it?

<JagsKiddingMe>

Masvidal has said before Nate didn't want a second fight.

<209Bitch>

Styles make fights, Diaz did better against Edwards than Mas could ever do (imo) but Mas kickboxing and leg kick style will always guarantee he beats Nate down. 2 of the rounds could’ve been 10-8.

Mas should fight Colby (if he loses). Nate should face Conor.

because Jorge beat the living shit out of him and the doctor saved Nates life.

It kills one of their cash cows off even worse. Nate and now Mas needs a good win in the worst way.

I love how Nate's fans rationalize things.
  • "Sure Nate was getting destroyed by Jorge, but maybe Masvidal was getting tired and Nate would've come back if they didn't stop it."
  • "I know Edwards dominated Nate for the entire fight besides the one time (in 5 rounds) that Nate rocked him....but if it were a no time limit fight like the old days, maybe Nate had a chance!"
Just stop, guys. Nate doesn't belong in the cage with top WWs and probably couldn't make LW again. If he could, he'd lose to Poirier, Gaethje, Islam, etc.

Diaz is mentally slow as it is and you want to add CTE to it?

Sellability. I imagine they would both want it as a main event and to sell big numbers. Considering both of them are on a lose streak it ain't worth it. Moreso Diaz probably doesn't want it

I love how Nate's fans rationalize things.
  • "Sure Nate was getting destroyed by Jorge, but maybe Masvidal was getting tired and Nate would've come back if they didn't stop it."
  • "I know Edwards dominated Nate for the entire fight besides the one time (in 5 rounds) that Nate rocked him....but if it were a no time limit fight like the old days, maybe Nate had a chance!"
Just stop, guys. Nate doesn't belong in the cage with top WWs and probably couldn't make LW again. If he could, he'd lose to Poirier, Gaethje, Islam, etc.

I'm a fan of both and their styles make for exciting fights.
I wouldn't call either championship material but they make for exciting fights, something fights fans want and need lately with nothing too exciting going on.

Back