Do you guys think ultimately Petr Yan deserved a TS

TJ Dillashank

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I don't think he deserved one after beating Faber who was either top 14 or not even ranked from memory. Obviously, this ship has long sailed and he has proved that he is a champion but does beating an old Dodson and Faber mean you get a TS? I have seen a lot of people arguing about it recently but now after over a year of Cejudo being retied and Yan being champ do you guys think he deserved it at that time?

Thinking about it that means Khamzat should get a TS Khamzat bless.

Yes because he was the best guy in the division at the time off the eye test regardless of resume.

Yes because he was the best guy in the division at the time off the eye test regardless of resume.

It's easier to look better when you're fighting lesser comp and the good comp are all fighting each other.

If you took Faber in his prime and let him fight a washed up fighter on their way out he'd look amazing too lol.

That was a ridiculous title fight. His opponent, Aldo, was 0-1 at bantamweight. It enabled Yan to win the belt without ever having faced a Top 5 bantamweight.

The UFC should have done an 8-person tournament to crown a champ. The manlet divisions need a lot of help to attract the attention of the general fanbase. Maybe a tournament would have generated some buzz.

Nah probably not, but the dudes an absolute killer and fighting for a vacated title is always iffy.

It was pretty clear in his fights leading up to the title that he was top 3 in the division if not #1, so I don't have a huge problem with him jumping the ranks that fast.

Khamzat is a different case, as he hasn't really fought anyone in the top 35

As it was a vacant title fight it should've been Moraes vs Sterling. Moraes landed the cleaner shots throughout the fight and hurt Aldo. I hated the poor commentary for that, which also influenced Aldo getting the shot, as it influenced Dana. Aldo's name value, past glory.

While Sterling was waiting for a deserved title shot.

These things have significance as Marlon dropped off right away, lost his edge. Now he's probably never getting that shot, was robbed off of it. And he matched up well vs Sterling, also had already beat him. That's a reason as well, making a new fight for a fresh start for BW post Cejudo.

Nah probably not, but the dudes an absolute killer and fighting for a vacated title is always iffy.
I don't think he deserved it at all but that does not mean he is a champion. Moraes vs Sterling 2 made more sense or Sandhagen vs Moraes for the belt it was a bit of a mess but I do feel Aldo beat Marlon but Yan beat no one.

We saw him toying with the person who had the belt. Whether he should have the shot or not, I don't know. But it is pretty easy to see why they'd just go ahead and give it to him

Second best at the moment. Lost to the champ.
the-office-close-door-gif-6.gif

But the "eye test" for Yan was right. He should beat Sterling in the rematch and he'll likely face TJ next, who'll he, imo, TKO, or comfortably cruise to a decision, as Yan's patient. Unless TJ faces Font first. Font by TKO.

Looking at the BW landscape after that Yan vs Rob Font is a good one. I'd rate Yan as the better boxer, as he's good in the pocket, but Font's big power makes it a dangerous one.

Sandhagen will rise to a title shot, but Yan's a really good clinch grappler and has some top control. Also has better boxing. But Sandhagen, grappling weakness aside, is a outside 8-limb striker who'll stay ahead on points if it stays standing.

I can see Yan becoming a dominant champ as the lower half of the top 10 BW are old, but Font could be a tough one and Sandhagen has a "marathoners" way to victory. I'd like to see Yan behind on points late in the fight, that he NEEDS to pick up the aggression.

Last edited:
Don't matter, TJ's back and getting his belt back anyways.
TJ isn't getting through Yan. And Sterling is ahead of him too so he'll most likely need another win before he even gets a title shot.

Back