Should Stipe put back on 15lbs or cut to LHW?

NoBiasJustMMA

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
In Stipe's last two fights he weighed in at 234 and 230 with no dieting to lose weight or weight cutting. Previously, Stipe used to be around 245 at HW. There have been many LHWs over the years that cut from 225-235 to LHW like Ortiz, Griffin, Rampage, OSP, Glover, Jones, Davis, Gus, Rumble, and Bader.

I personally think Stipe would have a much better shot at getting the title at LHW than at HW and I don't think the cut would negatively impact him as much smaller fighters cut like 15-25lbs between dieting and a water cut so it shouldn't be difficult for someone much bigger. What does everyone think should Stipe put 15lbs back on his frame or diet/water cut 25ish to fight at LHW? Not sure if someone can add a poll but that would be cool.

Adding @acannxr thread about in cage weight so people can see that Stipe cutting from 230 by dieting and then doing a water cut is about the same as most peoples weight cuts in body weight percent and less than most considered big for their weight class.

https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/compilation-of-fighters-cage-weight-redux.3977251/

Keep in mind that these in cage weights are going to be lower than the weight that they were at before dieting and doing a water cut.

For example Woodley's in cage weight of 190 was likely 192-195ish before dieting and the water cut as they don't put all the weight back on. So say it's 193 that would mean Woodley cuts 23lbs to WW at 11.9% body weight vs Stipe's 10.8% from 230 to 205.

Last edited:
Look at him when he slims down at heavyweight. He’s pencil thin. He could NEVER cut another 30 lbs to begin with, much less compete at a high level.

I think it’s crazy how people are suggesting the UFC HW GOAT change his entire career trajectory because he lost a fight

No no no I don't wanna see a broadly built 6'4" dude kill himself to make LHW. He's going the Frank Mir route and I support that.

no way, maybe if one leg is amputated
DeiTybuX4AAbovb.jpg

Look at him when he slims down at heavyweight. He’s pencil thin. He could NEVER cut another 30 lbs to begin with, much less compete at a high level.

I think it’s crazy how people are suggesting the UFC HW GOAT change his entire career trajectory because he lost a fight
There are guys that fight at 125 that cut from 140ish. 25lbs for a 230lb man is only 10.8% body weight cut which is well below average.

This. Many people talk about fighters should cut down because they are not huge for the weight class. If they are lean don´t have insane amount of muscle mass, it still doesn´t mean a cut down to smaller weight class would be easy at all.

Everyone saying he couldn't make the 205 needs to look into how much most fighters cut in body weight percentage. Stipe cutting 25lbs is less than 11% body weight cut. Most fighters cut like 15% body weight or more.

There are WWs that cut 25lbs, a 230lb man should be able to cut 25lbs no problem when people half his size can do it regularly. I swear no one I reading the OP.
Which welterweight cuts 25lbs of water?

LHW?!?! WTF, dude? Look at his frame. It's not a possibility.

No if anything he should bulk up to be 240+

Which welterweight cuts 25lbs of water?
I didn't say a 25lb water cut I said dieting to lose weight on purpose temporarily like every none HW does then a water cut. Lawler, and GSP at his biggest dieted down from 195ish to like 180 or so and would water cut the rest. I think Usman does the same, and Woodly too.

@NoBiasJustMMA You just skipped over posts explaining why that reasoning doesn't work. Everyone starts from a different body composition.
I don't see how it is relevant. Stipe got to 230 with no dieting or water cutting at all. There have been WWs that diet down from 195ish and do a water cut to 170 no problem so if someone with a similar body fat percentage at 195 can cut 25lbs between dieting and a water cut it should be significantly easier for someone who is 230 at around the same body fat to cut 25lbs because it is a much smaller percentage of their weight.

GSP for example cut down from 190-195ish to 170 and he clearly has less body fat than Stipe.

If Stipe decides to continue his career into his 40’s he should stay at HW, there’s a place between maintaining speed/cardio, while keeping enough muscle and strength where he won’t be bullied by the larger HW’s, he needs to find that happy medium. I have a feeling that the HW title is going to get passed around a few times and Stipe could actually end up with the belt again with the right matchup. I honestly doubt he’s going to beat Big Frank again, but I think he matches up favorably against BB, or Jones, and could potentially give Gane problems. It’ll be interesting to see how it all plays out, hopefully Francis and Jones remove their heads from their asses so we can get some exciting fights to look forward to seeing with the Big guys.

I don't see how it is relevant. Stipe got to 230 with no dieting or water cutting at all.

Stop. He walks around ten pounds higher. He had to diet down. He's already really lean looking at him in his latest bout.

I'm not saying Stipe can't make 205. I am saying that it would be an entirely different Stipe and most likely a much worse Stipe.

He'd have to pull a DC and lose a pure muscle first. DC was never as explosive as he was before going to 205 as a result of all the muscle he lost.

Back