Most famous combat athletes among Americans.

codfather

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
In terms of American adults who have heard of them.
They have to have made their name from fighting, so no Tony Danza, Jake Paul etc:
  1. Ali (1942)
  2. Tyson (1966)
  3. Robinson (1921)
  4. Foreman (1949)
  5. Mayweather (1977)
  6. Leonard (1956)
  7. De La Hoya (1973)
  8. Holyfield (1962)
  9. Frazier (1944)
  10. Marciano (1923)
  11. Rousey (1987) (MMA)
  12. Dempsey (1895)
  13. McGregor (1988) (MMA)
  14. Louis (1914)
  15. Holmes (1949)
  16. Pacquiao (1978)
  17. Liston (1932)
  18. Chavez (1962)
  19. Hagler (1954)
  20. LaMotta (1922)

Last edited:
I noticed you said "in America", not "from America".

Anyway, it's probably Conor.

Did you control for mass media and stuff? Kinda hard to measure this.

Ken Shamrock is up there, was a global star during WWE attitude era biggest time for pro wrestling in 20 years and helped put MMA and the UFC on the map in North America and globally.
Also saved the UFC from going under by coming back to fight Tito at UFC 40 and paved the way for the Lesnar crossover later.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Conor is way too low on your list

I don't think McGregor is that famous among Americans aged 60+.
McGregor, Pacquiao and Chavez would probably be ranked higher if this was an international list, but it's not.

Canrod easily. His notoriety is propelling him to new levels. I would have him at number 3-4

I would have had Tyson first, Ali second. Might have something to do with when I was born

What a fucking whacky order on this list lol

Dunno of you're from America or not but literally nobody outside of die hard boxing fans has ever heard of Sugar Ray Robinson

Only thing that can hit as hard as Tony was the band named after him

I saw them live once and they were like 'Our tour has been so hard' so I gave them the ol' Sherdog "WAAAAH" and they gave me a like.

J/K on the like - After I chided them they tried to make fun of my epically long hair (RIP hair) and I stared the the singer down, we gave each other the nod, and I then proceeded to metal out next to them because it was just about being metal. That is true.

Dunno of you're from America or not but literally nobody outside of die hard boxing fans has ever heard of Sugar Ray Robinson

This was my impression too. TS seems to use a narrow scope of view on a very broad audience of adult Muricans.

I don't think McGregor is that famous among Americans aged 60+.
McGregor, Pacquiao and Chavez would probably be ranked higher if this was an international list, but it's not.
Conor needs to invite the seniors to his bar... I heard he can be very hospitable.

There's millions of guys like Biden, Trump, Dubya and Bill Clinton who grew up with SRR being the most famous boxer.

Back