Mike Tyson 'was offered no holds barred deathmatch' by UFC legend; Tyson accepted!

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
Mike Tyson was once challenged to a superfight by UFC legend Royce Gracie in a bid to see who was the Baddest Man on the Planet.

When Iron Mike was preparing for a return to the ring back in 1993, Brazilian MMA hero Gracie was one of the biggest stars in the octagon-based new promotion.

Gracie’s desire to beat the very best saw him make an offer to the former heavyweight champion, who he thought to be very beatable despite his obvious power and skill.

In a new memoir written by Fiaz Rafiq, To The Top: Enter the Octagon, the Ring and Entertainment, the tale of the failed negotiations have been revealed in detail.

Rafiq wrote: “For Royce, any fight was a matter of who could implement their own strategy, and much of the Gracie style was developed to avoid even the chance of their opponent landing a lucky punch.

“What Royce lacked in brute force, he clearly made up for in technical skill, as his opponents – including a professional boxer – quickly discovered.

Before adding: “In Iron Mike’s case, one rejection wasn’t enough for Royce.

“In 1997 the Gracie’s challenge made the headlines again, after the publication of a one-page advert in Men’s Health in America, in which the UFC champion once again challenged the former heavyweight boxer ‘officially’. Anywhere, anytime, no rules!

“Years later I asked Royce about the famous challenge, and discovered that the heavyweight had been, at least in theory, willing to put up.

“‘I heard that my brother tried to bring him in [to UFC],’ Royce explained. ‘He had accepted but people around him – the lawyers, managers, and the Commission – said no way, because boxing had too much to lose.

0_GettyImages-169494827.jpg

more: https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/b...FR6a0x9_-Y7CKxO2BmJAP7ZHUkOiDZV5zJl67ZBI9XASg

The Gracie's also challenged Benny the Jet Urquidez, then backed out when they realized he had some grappling experience with Gene Lebell.

I imagine if Tyson did even 6 months to work on a sprawl and basic sub defence they wouldn't want anything to do with him.

The Gracie's also challenged Benny the Jet Urquidez, then backed out when they realized he had some grappling experience with Gene Lebell.

I imagine if Tyson did even 6 months to work on a sprawl and basic sub defence they wouldn't want anything to do with him.
Tyson did his best fighting on the inside. He was just way too quick and powerful for Royce to clinch up with. He would have gotten torn to pieces as soon as he got close.

Bullshit

In September 1994, Urquidez revealed he had been challenged by Rorion Gracie for a mixed martial arts bout as part of the Gracie Challenge. He claimed to have backed down from the fight, considering it to be just a promotional stunt, due to Rorion demanding to fight for free after having negotiated for a fight purse.[26] In response, in November of the same year, Rorion's brother Royce Gracie challenged Urquidez himself,[28] which Benny rejected on the grounds of being retired.[29]

Months later, Royce claimed that Rorion had already dominated Urquidez in a training at his Jet Center gym in 1978, taking him down multiple times without being touched, and accused Urquidez of not having helped the Gracies to establish themselves as he had promised.[29] He also claimed Urquidez only wanted to fight under kickboxing rules, to lessen the chance of being defeated

Why don't they do it now? People would watch, probably more now than back then. Do it in a below ground cement swimming pool.

Sure would be better than watching "Mashed Potatoes" against Jones Jr or Royce/Ken 3 dive.

Had this happened and Tyson landed the same punch on Royce that Hackney did, it might've been a very ugly ending to the fight. Everything was likely in the Gracie's favor in such a fight thought.

Last edited:
It was a different time back then. We can say Tyson would win with 6 months of training but where and with who? People talk like times back then are how they are now. The internet, information and communication was not as readily available and accessible.

BJJ was still an enigma to the world. The UFC was a fringe event.

Back