Did anyone else think Dominick Cruz called a great fight on Saturday?

Eric Silva 2.0

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I noticed during the TJ/Sandhagen fight how Dominick Cruz started talking about how effective TJ's leg kicks were. He grouped himself, Sandhagen and maybe one other fighter (I can't remember exactly) and how leg kicks were slowing down Sandhagen's movement (which they were). He stated how leg kicks in general are a good weapon to use against guys with movement heavy styles. When Dominick Cruz fought TJ, Dom limped out of the fight at the end and blamed it on his plantar fascitiis. Now i'm not saying Dom doesnt have plantar fasciitis (Dom and his doctor would know better) but what I am saying is his plantar fasciitis started really acting up when TJ started blasting him with leg kicks. The book is out now on how to beat Dom (and yes he's also a little more out of his prime) but I thought it was great honest analysis in the heat of the fight.

Cruz is the best commentator in the UFC right now, they should let him commentate every week. Fire Bisping, DC and Rogan.(DC is my fav fighter of all time but he sucks at commentating, always talking over other commentators etc.) Cruz, Felder + Anik/Fitzgerald is the best possible combination as of right now.

Cruz is the best commentator in the UFC right now, they should let him commentate every week. Fire Bisping, DC and Rogan.(DC is my fav fighter of all time but he sucks at commentating, always talking over other commentators etc.) Cruz, Felder + Anik/Fitzgerald is the best possible combination as of right now.
I'm normally not a big fan of Cruz. He sometimes tries too hard to prove how smart he is and he's naturally unlikable. I thought he was at his best during this fight.

I noticed during the TJ/Sandhagen fight how Dominick Cruz started talking about how effective TJ's leg kicks were. He grouped himself, Sandhagen and maybe one other fighter (I can't remember exactly) and how leg kicks were slowing down Sandhagen's movement (which they were). He stated how leg kicks in general are a good weapon to use against guys with movement heavy styles. When Dominick Cruz fought TJ, Dom limped out of the fight at the end and blamed it on his plantar fascitiis. Now i'm not saying Dom doesnt have plantar fasciitis (Dom and his doctor would know better) but what I am saying is his plantar fasciitis started really acting up when TJ started blasting him with leg kicks. The book is out now on how to beat Dom (and yes he's also a little more out of his prime) but I thought it was great honest analysis in the heat of the fight.
He was blowing Sandhagen the entire fight, you could clearly tell he who he was rooting for.
I found him to be atrocious tbh however, I think he is pretty insufferable in the first place so I am biased .

I was expecting him to be heavily biased and call TJ and the other TAM fighters on the card meat heads like he used to during his fights with that team, but he was very complimentary of their skills and training and pointed out the things they did right, even against himself (which only Cody won).

So all in all I thought he did great considering all the past beef he's had with Team Alpha Male and TJ. That's something I wasn't sure he'd be able to handle.

Commentators did a good job that night. Dom did not seem biased during the TJ fight imo.

It's always better when Rogan isn't there. It's becoming painfully clear that Rogan ruins the commentary with his bias, cringe remarks and unprofessional attitude and has a bad influence on DC's commentary.

I am lukewarm on Dom.

He is a lot better when people don't act like he is a genius and he tries to make jokes.

Personality aside, just sharing what he is seeing in fights, he is good and I appreciate it because he is/was a high level fighter.

He was blowing Sandhagen the entire fight, you could clearly tell he who he was rooting for.
I found him to be atrocious tbh however, I think he is pretty insufferable in the first place so I am biased .
I normally don't like him or his analysis. I thought he was spot on with the leg kicks (they were slowing Sandhagen down). I was surprised he brought himself into the analysis and thought it was refreshingly honest and insightful. I've never felt like that watching Dom, i'm biased against him as well.

I think Dom works better with DC because he doesn't patronise him like he tends to with other announcers.

I think Dom works better with DC because he doesn't patronise him like he tends to with other announcers.
I usually don't like Dom but he didn't seems to be trying to prove how smart he was in that fight. He just gave insightful analysis and it just caught me by surprise.

I get when people call Dom a little dry. It def. seems that way when he's forcing a hyped up reaction (just like Anik tbh), but imo he is the best commentator in the UFC right now when it comes to substance, followed by DC.

Bisping and Felder are cool but hardly ever add actual info and tend to just point stuff out thats obvious to kill the silence.

Glad to see the overall positive thoughts on the commentary this weekend — usually there are complaints (justifiably so), but I agree everyone was on their A game.

One of the things I like about Cruz is that, unlike Bisping, he rarely talks about his own fights, and unlike Felder he never strays off course. So TS’s observation about his commentary during the main event is spot on.

Typically I can’t stand Cormier, and still think his post-fight interviews are terrible, but I wouldn’t mind seeing this commentary team more often.

Cruz should be fired. It's a myth that Cruz has a high understanding on what is going on in the cage.
He is just a better version of Chael Sonnen. They want to look smart for their image. They are doing exactly what Conrat is doing.
People buy it. I don't like it.
I hate it when Cruz is commentator.

I also remember him saying that blood made him rush forward against Cody Garbrant, because he was afraid that referee is going to stop the fight, which created openings for his opponent.
<Grimes01>

Back