Better career Nick or Nate?

420sicness

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
I remember back about 15 years ago when I first started following MMA closely my friend used to tell me how good this guy Nick Diaz was! Crazy how fast time goes. I wish Nick had been more active fighting in the past decade but he and Nate have been two of the most entertaining and talented fighters in history. Just curious who you guys think ultimately has had the better career?

I remember back about 15 years ago when I first started following MMA closely my friend used to tell me how good this guy Nick Diaz was! Crazy how fast time goes. I wish Nick had been more active fighting in the past decade but he and Nate have been two of the most entertaining and talented fighters in history. Just curious who you guys think ultimately has had the better career?

Nick, fairly and squarely because of the belts

What’s a better win, Gomi or Conor?

Let’s call it a draw and all leave happy.

Nick was the better fighter. Think he dealt with the pressures of the spotlight outside the cage less well than Nate though. Not that either are great at it. But nate seems a tad better at it, probably from going through all the drama BS that is the TUF house. Helped condition him a bit better for the ufc circus.

Nate, and at this point it’s not even close.

And I will say that Nick got fucked by the athletic commission, for a drug that’s not even illegal.
But, even if Nick fought more in the UFC, he would’ve taken more losses. Stylistically, the top guys in the UFC aren’t going to play his game.

Nate became the bigger star, had the more high profile fights, made more money ans is more well known right now.

Nick.

Better win. Gomi was number 1 lightweight when Nick beat Gomi back in the day.

Better competition. Fought GSP, Anderson, Gomi. He literally fought former top 1s in LW, WW, and MW. Though I guess Gomi fight was at 160.

Better accomplishments. Former WEC and strikeforce champion.

And Nick is a better fight too, in my opinion.

Nick and it's not even close. Nate Diaz is one of the most overrated fighters in MMA history up there with Pat Miletich. He made a lot of money and good on him but Nick was a top 3 welterweight in his prime in my opinion and held/defended the Strikeforce belt. Nate was at best top 7 or 8 in the world at 155.

Nate's win over Mcgregor surpasses any single win Nick had.

Nick's inactivity from MMA is one of the greatest disappointments of the sport.

Prime Gomi destroys prime Connie.

Two fast, accurate, forward moving, hard pipe hitting (mostly) boxers. It would have been one for the ages.

I was lucky enough to watch Gomi’s entire run from BJ to Nick in basically real time (excluding the PPV time delays of course). He was a monster. And of course that’s what made Gomi v Diaz so utterly fucking unbelievable.

Last edited:
Both fought for the UFC belt twice and lost. Nick actually held and defended the SF belt, which outweighs Nate winning TUF.

Nick has a better win percentage, but Nate has way more fights in the UFC, consistently fighting ranked guys: 26 bouts to Nick’s 14. Nick may have fought GOATs like GSP, Andy, and Gomi- but he also fought a lot of cans in the B leagues. I don’t even know some of the guys Nick was fighting in Dream and EliteXC.

Both have produced a lot of good submission wins, but Nick seemed to able to finish guys with strikes more frequently.

Toss up. I’d have to give Nick the edge for his accomplishments at SF and that amazing gogo win over Gomi. Nate beating Conor, in hindsight, was better for his bank account than his legacy, plus he lost rematch. But both are fucking awesome and have provided years of entertainment in and out of the ring. War Diaz bros.

Both fought for the UFC belt twice and lost. Nick actually held and defended the SF belt, which outweighs Nate winning TUF.

Nick has a better win percentage, but Nate has way more fights in the UFC, consistently fighting ranked guys: 26 bouts to Nick’s 14. Nick may have fought GOATs like GSP, Andy, and Gomi- but he also fought a lot of cans in the B leagues. I don’t even know some of the guys Nick was fighting in Dream and EliteXC.

Both have produced a lot of good submission wins, but Nick seemed to able to finish guys with strikes more frequently.

Toss up. I’d have to give Nick the edge for his accomplishments at SF and that amazing gogo win over Gomi. But both are fucking awesome and have provided years of entertainment in and out of the ring. War Diaz bros.
Good post, except the word “cans”. Can you just say “top 30 guys?” Nate beat a lot of top 30 guys too, I’m the UFC. But ya, the difference is that Nate also fought and often lost to top 10 dudes (like Nick).

And it’s not just beating Zarimskis, Smith, Daley and the like. It was how. There was an aura. It was awesome. Hard to replicate in win loss charts 13 years later.

Two fast, accurate, forward moving, hard pipe hitting (mostly) boxers. It would have been one for the ages.
I'm so glad we saw Nick vs BJ I wish we could have seen Nate vs BJ
I was lucky enough to watch Gomi’s entire run from BJ to Nick in basically real time (excluding the PPV time delays of course). He was a monster.
I'm so glad we saw Nick vs BJ I really wish we could have saw Nate vs BJ

Back