One Guy Does 90% of the Damage and the Other Guy Wins?

Under the current scoring system it was a toss up. I can't complain about TJ winning. But the scoring system needs a massive rework. Cory easily outstruck him and did all the most damage. TJ should not get points for grabbing him and failing to take him down and just holding him

Seems to be the common division in how scoring should be done.

Plenty of judges seem to give Octagon control and/or takedowns/control weighted points.

Plenty of fans seem to give damage weighted points.

We need to meet more in the middle.

giphy.gif

Under the current scoring system it was a toss up. I can't complain about TJ winning. But the scoring system needs a massive rework. Cory easily outstruck him and did all the most damage. TJ should not get points for grabbing him and failing to take him down and just holding him
Yeah but with with the amount of strikes Corey landed TJ should've been sleeping.

If a person can walk through your punches imo that should be ineffective striking. If TJ landed the same amount of strikes on Corey Corey would've been done.

Sure, Corey had the damage, but he didn't really have an answer to the clinches except for giving his back. Plus most of the shots came because TJ was pressuring and pushing the fight. Sandhagen should've fought more rounds like he did in the second and would've easily won.

"Chasing after an opponent with no effective result or impact should not render in the judges’ assessments." <-- that is part of current scoring. Isn't that what TJ did?

Welcome to the universal, round by round, scoring system where points fighting is encouraged and given more weight than damage.
If you want a scoring system that weighs damage and trying to finish the fight as most important and judges judge fights as a whole, go watch Pride. Oh, wait...

Back