Who are the 3 best mma wrestlers in history according to you ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 512089
  • Start date
In no particular order:
St. Pierre, particularly since he had no wrestling background prior to MMA.
Nurmagomedov, everyone knew what he would try to do, but the only ones to not get wrestlefucked were roided to the gills Tibau and Iaquinta, where it honestly looked like Khabib wanted to work on his jab.
Jon Jones, back when he used to use his wrestling.

You'll note that all four guys that i've mentioned have wrestled freestyle (Greco in the case of randy)

In no particular order:
St. Pierre, particularly since he had no wrestling background prior to MMA.
Nurmagomedov, everyone knew what he would try to do, but the only ones to not get wrestlefucked were roided to the gills Tibau and Iaquinta, where it honestly looked like Khabib wanted to work on his jab.
Jon Jones, back when he used to use his wrestling.

The fact that Jones doesn't have success wrestling any more disqualifies him from the top 3 for me. Whereas cormier has wrestlef***** fighters bigger than him and made his wrestling effective even against them (Barnett, Mir, Black beast etc.). So he takes the third spot for that reason in my book.

No honorable mention for you ?

Jon Jones in his early days was the best in my opinion

Other than him I would say GSP, DC and Khabib used wrestling the most effective way in MMA

Let's get this thread working like that : you name the 3 best mma wrestlers ever in your opinion + one honorable mention. Here's mine :

1. Khabib
2. GSP
3. Cormier
Honorable mention : Randy Couture

What's yours ?
1.Khabib
2.Romero
3.Cejudo
HM: Cormier

GSP
Romero
Khabib
Honorable Mention : DC

Honestly had difficulty in deciding my “Three”

GSP and Khabib. Jones is a candidate, as is Mark Coleman for how significantly he advanced MMA. Couture did some really great stuff using wrestling. The best anti-wrestling wrestler (i.e. a defensive rather than offensive wrestling) in the history of the sport is likely Jose Aldo.

1.Khabib
2.Romero
3.Cejudo
HM: Cormier

Oh Cejudo is a nice one. I hard a hard time deciding for an honorable mention between him and Randy. But Randy manhandling tim sylvia, Chuck and Tito in their prime makes him the most effective wrestler to me.

When did Romero was an incredible mma wrestler ? I don't remember him getting that many takedowns or using that much wrestling in his last 3 fights if not the last 5.

I agree. His MMA wrestling isn't particularly great or compelling. His control on the ground has consistently been sloppy to non-existent. This likely stems from his freestyle background.

I agree. His MMA wrestling isn't particularly great or compelling. His control on the ground has consistently been sloppy to non-existent. This likely stems from his freestyle background.

The only problem i have with freestyle for mma is that the whole "flip the lying down opponent" doesn't bring anything for mma, or almost. Outside of that it have the greatest variety of takedowns and counters. And if you work on your top BJJ game in parallel you'll be pretty dominant grappler

Let's get this thread working like that : you name the 3 best mma wrestlers ever in your opinion + one honorable mention. Here's mine :

1. Khabib
2. GSP
3. Cormier
Honorable mention : Randy Couture

What's yours ?

1. GSP
2. Jones
3. Khabib
Honorable mention: Cain Velasquez

Khabib couldn't take Tibau down. LOL at number 1.

1. GSP
2. Jones
3. Khabib
Honorable mention: Cain Velasquez

Khabib couldn't take Tibau down. LOL at number 1.

Jones couldn't take down Dominick Reyes, Thiago Santos & Gustafsson more than one second. So I don't see your point.

Also Juiced Tibau just beat Rory macdonald while he's 50 years old. That shouldn't discredit Khabib career if we look at his mma grappling achievements objectively

Jones couldn't take down Dominick Reyes, Thiago Santos & Gustafsson more than one second. So I don't see your point.

Also Juiced Tibau just beat Rory macdonald while he's 50 years old. That shouldn't discredit Khabib career if we look at his mma grappling achievements objectively

Tibau didn't.

Prime Gus is a better fighter than anyone Khabib fought. By a LOT. I mean Prime Jones. Jones hasn't looked good in years.

Tibau didn't.

Prime Gus is a better fighter than anyone Khabib fought. By a LOT. I mean Prime Jones. Jones hasn't looked good in years.

I was asking for fighters in a whole, during their whole career, not only their prime. With that criteria Jones isn't in the top 3 of best mma wrestlers ever, because as you said his wrestling hasn't shined in years. If we had to extend it to top 10 i'd even put Cejudo, Coleman and even Hugues before him.

And i know the Rory/Tibau decision was bullshit. It still shows that when he's roided he's even giving top class WW a run for their money, imo a cheater like that doesn't count.

I'd choose Randleman, as he could usually take down almost anyone, and I remember he was clearly out-wrestling Randy in their fight before gassing. Also Jones, and GSP, who used wrestling so effectively to win their fights.

Back