Ngannou #5 P4P

Bojka

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Anyone else find it a bit ridiculous that Ngannou is so high on the P4P rankings?

He has 20-30+ lbs of lean mass on pretty much all of the guys he fights. If he was the same size as Stipe, he wouldn't hit anywhere near as hard, wouldn't take a punch as well, and probably gets taken down and beaten again in the rematch.

And he probably loses to several other heavyweights if you control for weight or, in particular, lean mass. Since a bunch of heavyweights are holding a lot of fat just because they can and still make the limit.

His problem here is that he weighs so much. =p

Anyone else find it a bit ridiculous that Ngannou is so high on the P4P rankings?

He has 20-30+ lbs of lean mass on pretty much all of the guys he fights. If he was the same size as Stipe, he wouldn't hit anywhere near as hard, wouldn't take a punch as well, and probably gets taken down and beaten again in the rematch.

And he probably loses to several other heavyweights if you control for weight or, in particular, lean mass. Since a bunch of heavyweights are holding a lot of fat just because they can and still make the limit.
I agree that he’s too high. But comparing his weight to people who have the choice of weighing how much they practically want... that’s absurd. I honestly don’t think Ngannou weighing 20 lbs less would decrease his power by much. Might not be the most technical striker but he does know how to generate power.

Love Ngannou but he doesn’t belong anywhere on P4P rankings IMO

He isn’t incredibly skilled, he’s just huge and hits like an ICBM

Ngannou is cleaning up that division like Stipe did when he first won the title though. I think Stipe was ranked around there when he beat Werdum. He avenged one of his two losses.

agreed they dont put that list together very well. Its mostly a popularity contest among the media

Is he P4P better than Charles Jourdain?

Huge if true.

Deontay Wilder isn’t the most technical boxer either but you’d be a fool to say he isn’t P4P one of the best HWs right now

Deontay Wilder isn’t the most technical boxer either but you’d be a fool to say he isn’t P4P one of the best HWs right now
No one is saying he's not one of the top P4P best HW's though, TS criticism is of being 5th overall, which is a fair point imo.. Though granted the rankings are all bullshit anyway, in both sports.

JONES_JON_12-29.png

Kamaru Usman
Israel Adesanya
Alexander Volkanovski
Francis Ngannou
Dustin Poirier
Jan Blachowicz
Stipe Miocic
Max Holloway
Charles Oliveira
Robert Whittaker
Brandon Moreno
Petr Yan
Justin Gaethje
Aljamain Sterling

<28>p4p is not meant to be taken so literally lol

Its not like he is Bob Sapp weighing in at 400lbs

At the end of the day he is the best absolute fighter in the world and has ran through the old guard at HW like an 18 wheeler

ya and he just started mma not to long ago stipe has been training his whole life and he got mollywopped

i dont get how he cant be p4p he's knocking great fighters dead wtf do u have to go decision every time to be p4p wtf y'all dont kno wtf u talking about this the baddest man on earth he should be p4p number 1 fuck 5

i dont get how he cant be p4p he's knocking great fighters dead wtf do u have to go decision every time to be p4p wtf y'all dont kno wtf u talking about this the baddest man on earth he should be p4p number 1 fuck 5

The problem seems to stem from the obvious fact that you don't understand what pound for pound means.

i don't even know how HWs get on P4P lists. a huge part of his success is because he's gigantic. and he does 1 thing really good, punch hard. which again, he owes at least some of it to his massive frame.

how do you get on a p4p list when your skill is that you're huge and punch like a mule kicks? i don't know, sounds like if you're just born a freak you will automatically be on the p4p list. i'm pretty sure Derrick Lewis fits the same bill, is he on the list? because i'm quite sure he'd knock the rest of the list dead just as easily as Ngannou would.

ya and he just started mma not to long ago stipe has been training his whole life and he got mollywopped

Get your facts straight. Stipe started MMA late too. And Nogannou has been in MMA now 7 plus years. Hardly “Not too long ago”

I see p4p more of a comparaison between weight classes than between actual weights in pounds. Therefore, i have no problem with him being #5 or even higher. He's been on a tear lately

Back