The "Leon needs another top 5 win for a shot" argument.

sampuncher

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
Wanted to create a thread as this is all I'm hearing on Sherdog as justification as to why Leon shouldn't get a title shot.

I understand Leon's personality can rub people up the wrong way, I think people use that as an excuse to ignore the fact the guys currently on a 9 fight win streak.

Just to go back a short while, I've used mma-stats.com as a guide, I know this may be flawed but it was the only way I could get the historical rankings for some of the guys.

Leon has 1 I believe if these rankings are correect, RDA was 5th ranked when Leon fought him apparently.

List of other guys top 5 wins before title shots post UFC 200.

Kamaru Usman - Top 5 wins before a title shot. - 1 - Also RDA . Maia was 7th ranked.
Colby - Top 5 wins before a title shot - 1 - Also RDA . 2nd Title shot/streak, also 1 in Woodley
Gilbert Burns - 1 in Woodley -
Masvidal - 1 in Darren Till
Woodley - 0 Top 5 wins before a title shot

Masvidal is the only guy above who got a finish over that top 5 guy aswell to add so that argument can't even be used for Leon either really IMO.

In recent memory, post UFC 200 only WB and Maia have pulled together more than 1 top 5 win before a title shot.

So based on that, why is there now a sudden insistence on Leon having to prove himself by fighting another top guy? I get the Nate fight he got wobbled at the end but was also winning 24 minutes of the fight. Granted guys like Cerrone and Nelson aren't as great as they were once regarded on the same streak but then there's guys like Luque on this streak whose now a top 5 guy himself.

I think considering the division at the top is full of guys coming off losses, giving it to the guy on a 9 fight streak doesn't seem the most outrageous of suggestions.

I'm not saying Leon SHOULD be the next challenger, I get both sides of the argument but it's moreso, everyone insistent on him facing more top 5 guys when that's never been the path for previous challengers? Is it because you're still not impressed with Leon, or just don't like the guys personality etc?

Last edited:
4th!
B_PJenHqbHnKj80CUzJqXc4xjj7XxF54Gb3H3ixZD3DZTYrql5298hnZhnhaW87M_QznogJaRsN5PrWmRIrp4VlejBgdPvV-DQJc0o9iTOjYmfUd

qD318cEydsEiw1hzI4cChAVGkKXG_uVCjvJrbwDbW9RMhwV0At-eMaeqZ1YimtXOfCd5Jqwu0Kao6GZu4Fu6vV9FL89PcdObP9HTlE0GVct2ws54

But yes, I am a firm believer Leon deserves it the most.

Great post dude, you're fucking bang on!

Last edited:
Wanted to create a thread as this is all I'm hearing on Sherdog as justification as to why Leon shouldn't get a title shot.

I understand Leon's personality can rub people up the wrong way, I think people use that as an excuse to ignore the fact the guys currently on a 9 fight win streak.

Just to go back a short while, I've used mma-stats.com as a guide, I know this may be flawed but it was the only way I could get the historical rankings for some of the guys.

Leon has 1 I believe if these rankings are correect, RDA was 5th ranked when Leon fought him apparently.

Kamaru Usman - Top 5 wins before a title shot. - 1 - Also RDA . Maia was 7th ranked.
Colby - Top 5 wins before a title shot - 1 - Also RDA . 2nd Title shot/streak, also 1 in Woodley

Masvidal is the only guy above who got a finish over that top 5 guy aswell to add so that argument can't even be used for Leon either really IMO.

In recent memory, post UFC 200 only WB and Maia have pulled together more than 1 top 5 win before a title shot.

So based on that, why is there now a sudden insistence on Leon having to prove himself by fighting another top guy? I get the Nate fight he got wobbled at the end but was also winning 24 minutes of the fight. Granted guys like Cerrone and Nelson aren't as great as they were once regarded on the same streak but then there's guys like Luque on this streak whose now a top 5 guy himself.

I think considering the division at the top is full of guys coming off losses, giving it to the guy on a 9 fight streak doesn't seem the most outrageous of suggestions.

I'm not saying Leon SHOULD be the next challenger, I get both sides of the argument but it's moreso, everyone insistent on him facing more top 5 guys when that's never been the path for previous challengers? Is it because you're still not impressed with Leon, or just don't like the guys personality etc?
Because there’s a guy by the name of Stephen Thompson who defeated the only opponent that set Leon’s resume apart from Colby or Burns, which is Vincente Luque. Oh and he also has a win against Geoff Neil and is about to fight the no.2 fighter in Gilbert Burns. If Colby is getting the next title shot, then it’s without a doubt Stephen Thompson that should get the title shot afterwards if he can beat Burns. No charisma involved.

Because there’s a guy by the name of Stephen Thompson who defeated the only opponent that set Leon’s resume apart from Colby or Burns, which is Vincente Luque. Oh and he also has a win against Geoff Neil and is about to fight the no.2 fighter in Gilbert Burns. If Colby is getting the next title shot, then it’s without a doubt Stephen Thompson that should get the title shot afterwards if he can beat Burns. No charisma involved.
WB, Leon and Chiesa are all ahead of cuckington

I don’t really think the argument should be whether Leon deserves a title shot or not. Obviously, putting the hate aside for a bit, he does. The win streak speaks for itself. It also makes the decision a bit easier when you consider the fact that Usman has essentially cleaned that division out.

The better question is if the UFC wants to even give Leon the shot. I mean the guy did win his last fight and yet the moment that the UFC keeps hyping up is the Nate Diaz shot that had Leon seeing double. Not a real good move if you are hoping to build Leon up.

I don't think he needs another top 5 win. He just needs a performance that makes it seem like he can be competitive with Usman.

Nate had him badly hurt and Nate is know as a pillow fist. It doesn't scream that he can handle what Usman will throw at him.

If you look at the way Usman has been fighting and evolving from their first fight. I think he destroys Leon. I think most people would agree. So it doesn't make for a compelling fight when no one is giving the challenger a chance to win.

He just needs to look good in his next performance and I think he will have earned it.

So everyone else has to wait for that fight to happen and for Wonderboy to not only win, but turn around quick enough injury free to be able to fight straight away against Usman? Whilst everyone else just waits.. Feel like Wonderboy should probably focus on Burns first and then be patient if he wins and pick his timing well for a title shot... Seems to me Colby and Leon will both likely be ready far sooner.
Was over a year between Luque and Neal.

Well give a shot to chiesa then since he won against Rda and magny recently

So everyone else has to wait for that fight to happen and for Wonderboy to not only win, but turn around quick enough injury free to be able to fight straight away against Usman? Whilst everyone else just waits.. Feel like Wonderboy should probably focus on Burns first and then be patient if he wins and pick his timing well for a title shot... Seems to me Colby and Leon will both likely be ready far sooner.
Nope. Colby vs Usman is confirmed by Dana White but has yet to be scheduled. Therefore Wonderboy will have more time to heal up than Usman will since his fight is next month. There’s no waiting around. Wonderboy should be able to fight whenever Usman can.

Usman fighting Masvidal for the second time really fucked up the division. Should have been Edwards instead. Meanwhile Colby could have fought WB.

I want WB to get the titel shot if he beats Burns. Luque, Neal and Burns thats impressive as hell at the same time i would not be mad if Edwards gets the shot.

Its just Usman have never fought a guy like WB it would be intersting to see how he fights him.

Nope. Colby vs Usman is confirmed by Dana White but has yet to be scheduled. Therefore Wonderboy will have more time to heal up than Usman will since his fight is next month. There’s no waiting around. Wonderboy should be able to fight whenever Usman can.
Okay, I didn't realise you had meant after a Colby fight.. That makes more sense, though there's still a lot of ifs and buts.
Took Wonderboy over a year to fight Neal after Luque, and Usman's been active as fuck.

Edwards refused the wonderboy fight and a title shot

Reactions: D'z
Back