News UFC Anti-Trust Lawsuit Expanded

avenue94

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
The judge in the UFC's anti-trust lawsuit expanded the parameters of the class to include fighters up to the present. It was previously only Zuffa fighters from Dec. 2010-June 2017. It looks like Kajun Johnson and CB Dolloway filed a complaint that led to the change (both fighters qualified for the original class).

In practical terms, this means that the original class of 1,214 fighters of the class action lawsuit just increased by 500 UFC fighters. (I count 437 debuts from 2018-present.) It also might include all the fighters from the Contender's series, since those are technically Zuffa contracts, which is pretty ironic given that the Contender's Series was a way for the UFC to sign cheap talent to longer term contracts.

This is important for a couple reasons

-Bigger class means more damages. On the high end, the UFC was already facing nearly $5 billion in damages if they lost (anti-trust damages are automatically tripled). So if damages are proportional to class size, that means damages just increased 40-50 percent, meaning the high point for damages would be quickly approaching the valuation of the UFC. (the high point would obviously not be the final settlement size)

-Another 3 or 4 years of discovery, testimony, subpoenas, etc. and the potential for more embarrassing information to come to light. It also would mean more insight into UFC financials, but this is more just a bonus if you're curious.

-I'm no lawyer, but I imagine this also means the case will take even longer. So if we're lucky we might have a final ruling before 2030, if the UFC doesn't settle before.

Final note: A lot of people on sherdog might not realize this, but the UFC lawsuit is actually a pretty big deal in economics and the larger legal world. Monopsony cases are very rare, and if the fighters win, it would be a massive change in precedent that could affect litigation in other industries.

tldr1.gif

I suspect Dana White is leaving the UFC in the next 5 years

This case will only get worse and White will leave so he wont be running the company as this shit storm gets really bad

I bet there's some internal pressure since he's not really needed anymore. He's already rich and did what he set out to do, take a fringe sport and make it somewhat niche/mainstream

WME & ESPN are going to hire someone to make UFC even more mainstream

Whether it'll work or not who knows

My best guess of the first changes under new leadership

• Better Pay & Revenue split
  • Firing half these no-name fighters UFC keeps on their roster
  • Really focusing on better scouting, more Olympic caliber athletes, and stand out talent
  • Better production value, UFC is still stuck in late 2000's early 2010's production. (Ive yet to see any better countdown or Embedded with better production value than Showtime & especially HBO 24/7)
  • A streaming service like DAZN, PPV model will be fully gone

Last edited:
Lawsuit bigger, UFC more worried.

There you go, 5 words.
High stakes poker here. No way WME rolls the dice on a trial. They are gonna settle if they can’t get this thrown out but expect that to take years
Like I said, fingers crossed it's settled in the next decade. And for what it's worth, WME's stance, taken with a big grain of salt, was : "UFC is awaiting the official written order from the judge and assuming he rules as previously indicated, then UFC will seek an appeal of this decision. UFC believes that we have meritorious defenses against the allegations and intends to defend itself vigorously."

2030? I doubt combat sports are still a thing, lol.

The plot thickens.
<{jackyeah}>

Surely they could have found a more captivating image like the just bleed guy to post in that tweet

Basically, was TS is saying is

The judge in the UFC's anti-trust lawsuit expanded the parameters of the class to include fighters up to the present. It was previously only Zuffa fighters from Dec. 2010-June 2017. It looks like Kajun Johnson and CB Dolloway filed a complaint that led to the change (both fighters qualified for the original class).

In practical terms, this means that the original class of 1,214 fighters of the class action lawsuit just increased by 500 UFC fighters. (I count 437 debuts from 2018-present.) It also might include all the fighters from the Contender's series, since those are technically Zuffa contracts, which is pretty ironic given that the Contender's Series was a way for the UFC to sign cheap talent to longer term contracts.

This is important for a couple reasons

-Bigger class means more damages. On the high end, the UFC was already facing nearly $5 billion in damages if they lost (anti-trust damages are automatically tripled). So if damages are proportional to class size, that means damages just increased 40-50 percent, meaning the high point for damages would be quickly approaching the valuation of the UFC. (the high point would obviously not be the final settlement size)

-Another 3 or 4 years of discovery, testimony, subpoenas, etc. and the potential for more embarrassing information to come to light. It also would mean more insight into UFC financials, but this is more just a bonus if you're curious.

-I'm no lawyer, but I imagine this also means the case will take even longer. So if we're lucky we might have a final ruling before 2030, if the UFC doesn't settle before.

Final note: A lot of people on sherdog might not realize this, but the UFC lawsuit is actually a pretty big deal in economics and the larger legal world. Monopsony cases are very rare, and if the fighters win, it would be a massive change in precedent that could affect litigation in other industries.

Back