GSP/Silva vs. Usman/Adesanya Comparison

SmoothPies

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
With great champions like Usman and Adesanya dominating the game today at WW and MW, it's easy to make comparisons to GSP and Silva.

This may be common opinion, but I believe that the # of Title Defenses are what signify where you rank all-time in your respective division, and also P4P. Reason being is that every title defense you win symbolizes you being the best fighter in the division at that time. It's the only measurement that can really withstand the test of time as our sport evolves because fighters/athletes evolve. Usman may be beating better competition than what GSP faced, and likewise the WW champ of 2035 (probably Erick Silva) is going to be beating competition far better than what either of them faced.

Looking only at WW & MW for this discussion, here are the top 3 title defense record holders in each weight class:

WW
GSP - 9
Hughes - 5
Usman/Woodley - 4

MW
Silva - 10
Adesanaya - 3
Weidman - 3

I'm a big fan of both Usman and Adesanya, and cheer for them to win most of their fights. I also think that it's incredible to have two champions as active as they have been. They still have some ways to go before we can compare them to GSP and Silva.

A fighter can only beat the men across the cage from them.

Those who do that consistently deserve the credit and praise they receive.

The current champs are doing a great job, time will tell if they are able to sustain elite success the way prior champs like Silva, GSP and Hughes did.

Adeasanya isn't dominating. He's 1-1 lately.

Then agaim, he lost when moving up in weightclass. So fair enough.

I don't see WW today being better than what GSP fought. Not one person on Usman do I see beating GSP.

MW I think that Izzy is far better than Silva. I think that Silva would have been beaten in the MW division today. Too many good grapplers that would have nullified his striking. Also don't think Silva would have looked great in USADA.

The comparison between them is apt though and I would favor Usman if he ever fought Izzy.

I don't see WW today being better than what GSP fought. Not one person on Usman do I see beating GSP.

MW I think that Izzy is far better than Silva. I think that Silva would have been beaten in the MW division today. Too many good grapplers that would have nullified his striking. Also don't think Silva would have looked great in USADA.

The comparison between them is apt though and I would favor Usman if he ever fought Izzy.

Fair take. I agree that GSP would have beaten Colby, Burns, Mas, or anyone that Usman has faced.

Regarding Izzy/Silva - while I agree that the MW division today is better overall today, I actually think that MW is missing great grapplers currently. Do you think that Izzy would have been able to deal with prime Sonnen's relentless takedowns? I don't know if he has the ground game like Silva did to survive or threaten Chael for 5 rounds.

Fair take. I agree that GSP would have beaten Colby, Burns, Mas, or anyone that Usman has faced.

Regarding Izzy/Silva - while I agree that the MW division today is better overall today, I actually think that MW is missing great grapplers currently. Do you think that Izzy would have been able to deal with prime Sonnen's relentless takedowns? I don't know if he has the ground game like Silva did to survive or threaten Chael for 5 rounds.

That's an interesting prospect. Izzy has looked to have pretty solid TDD at MW. He is also really good at getting back to his feet. I forgot about Chael you might be right maybe that would have been Izzy's kryptonite.

Just to play devils advocate. I think the overall grappling is better but the wrestling may be worse.

You have guys like, Hermanson, Vetori, Alan, Muiz, Weidman, Brunson, Akhmedov. All have very complete ground games.

The takedown threat might not be the same as a Chael, or Hendo but aside from those two who really presented a stiff takedown threat to Silva?

Last edited:
With great champions like Usman and Adesanya dominating the game today at WW and MW, it's easy to make comparisons to GSP and Silva.

This may be common opinion, but I believe that the # of Title Defenses are what signify where you rank all-time in your respective division, and also P4P. Reason being is that every title defense you win symbolizes you being the best fighter in the division at that time. It's the only measurement that can really withstand the test of time as our sport evolves because fighters/athletes evolve. Usman may be beating better competition than what GSP faced, and likewise the WW champ of 2035 (probably Erick Silva) is going to be beating competition far better than what either of them faced.

Looking only at WW & MW for this discussion, here are the top 3 title defense record holders in each weight class:

WW
GSP - 9
Hughes - 5
Usman/Woodley - 4

MW
Silva - 10
Adesanaya - 3
Weidman - 3

I'm a big fan of both Usman and Adesanya, and cheer for them to win most of their fights. I also think that it's incredible to have two champions as active as they have been. They still have some ways to go before we can compare them to GSP and Silva.
Silva dominated a very weak division. Pet Detective, Decision Dan, and VITOtRt are his only good wins. His incredibly obvious fear of Maia was worse than a loss.

Yes, people always wanna jump the gun on the next big thing.

Guys like Silva and GSP are special.

That's an interesting prospect. Izzy has looked to have pretty solid TDD at MW. He is also really good at getting back to his feet. I forgot about Chael you might be right maybe that would have been Izzy's kryptonite.

Just to play devils advocate. I think the overall grappling is better but the wrestling may be worse.

You have guys like, Hermanson, Vetori, Alan, Muiz, Weidman, Brunson, Akhmedov. All have very complete ground games.

The takedown threat might not be the same as a Chael, or Hendo but aside from those two who really presented a stiff takedown threat to Silva?

Those guys are all great. Silva fought some amazing BJJ blackbelts as well in Maia and to a lesser extent Lutter and Leites. In terms of the takedown threat, I can't really come up with anyone at MW that was quite like Chael in either Silva or Izzy's reign.

I guess to say that Chael would beat Izzy is kind of unfair for me to state, because in today's MW division I don't think Chael would ever climb high enough to even get a title shot. Fighters like Whittaker or Yoel are tailor-made to beat Chael. He's just one of those nightmare matchups IMO

Adeasanya isn't dominating. He's 1-1 lately.

Then agaim, he lost when moving up in weightclass. So fair enough.
Dude, he's beaten 6 fighters in the current top 15, undefeated at MW, and only dropped 2 rounds in his first 3 defences. These numbers are very similar to Usman and Khabib, who are renowned as dominant champs. How is he not dominating?

WW
GSP - 9
Hughes - 5
Usman/Woodley - 4

MW
Silva - 10
Adesanaya - 3
Weidman - 3

YES! been saying this for awhile

To be a divisional.Goat.

1) win the title
2) Defend the title against rank opponents more then any champion before you..

That is all..

I agree..

GSP is still the WW GOAT..

Silva is still the MW GOAT...

Anyone saying differently is suffering from recency bias...or ball sucking syndrome

Back