There is no way fig makes weight again at 125

There has to be a rule that you can't go more than 1 weightclass down from your walk around weight. Extreme weightcuts are just too brutal, physically and mentally
I actually like that idea, saying they cant weight more on fight night than the next weight class up.I use to cut weight in highschool for wrestling, I cut about 10 lbs to get down to 171 and it was pretty tough because I was super skinny back then, like no fat at all. But I did it to avoid wrestling at 189 where there were 200+ lb gorillas cutting down to make it.

Edit: I wrestled the the ohio state champ in a tournament at 189 and got slaughtered, dude had a mustache lol

Don't know if this is true but apparently he's garbrandt size on fight night, difference is hes been making this weight for a long time, its not looking goodView attachment 862943

Garbrandt is just a small BW. Mighty mouse weighed as much as him on fight night. Most bantamweights are around 150lbs, many are 155lbs on fight night. This is why Garbrandt has talked about moving down weight classes.

I do think that fig should try BW though if the weight cut is affecting him negatively.

In Ohio HS wrestling tourney (back in 05-07) kids were cutting from 160-150lbs to make 125lbs weight class. At the end of the 1st wrestling day of the tourney you get to weigh out. You make weight at the end of the day so you don't have to weigh in the next morning. A kid came in at 163lbs for the weight out lol despite wrestling in the 125lbs division. That 163lb kid beat me. He was an immovable tree stump. In combat sports people will do anything for the advantage.

They need to do something, but it costs time and money, probably works out better for them financially if they don't do anything about it rather than if they were to introduce a regular system to manage fighters weights. It's not all that often high profile fights get scrapped due to failed weight cuts and the UFC is rather lazy when it comes to safety measure, for example it's very simple to solve the eye poke issue yet they won't change the gloves, Pride had angled gloves 15 years ago and the UFC still can't figure it out.

He apparently walks around at 160 lbs. Is what I heard recently.

In Ohio HS wrestling tourney (back in 05-07) kids were cutting from 160-150lbs to make 125lbs weight class. At the end of the 1st wrestling day of the tourney you get to weigh out. You make weight at the end of the day so you don't have to weigh in the next morning. A kid came in at 163lbs for the weight out lol despite wrestling in the 125lbs division. That 163lb kid beat me. He was an immovable tree stump. In combat sports people will do anything for the advantage.
I wrestled those years in ohio too but in 2008 they started using a weight system, I dont remember what it was called, but they calibrated our fat at the beginning of the season and told us how much you were allowed to lose per week and what weight classes you were allowed to wrestle. The trick was to come in with the weight cut already but they forced you to be hydrated through urine samples before they would give results. I cut down to 171 my junior year but my senior year (the year they started it) my "alpha weight" was 172 so I could weigh less than that if I wanted but I wasnt allowed to wrestle in a weight class below that. It messed up a lot of stuff but even though we were all wrestling at high classes than the year before so was everyone we were competing against so it wasnt too bad.

I wrestled those years in ohio too but in 2008 they started using a weight system, I dont remember what it was called, but they calibrated our fat at the beginning of the season and told us how much you were allowed to lose per week and what weight classes you were allowed to wrestle. The trick was to come in with the weight cut already but they forced you to be hydrated through urine samples before they would give results. I cut down to 171 my junior year but my senior year (the year they started it) my "alpha weight" was 172 so I could weigh less than that if I wanted but I wasnt allowed to wrestle in a weight class below that. It messed up a lot of stuff but even though we were all wrestling at high classes than the year before so was everyone we were competing against so it wasnt too bad.
In 07 my senior year they did the same thing before the season started but it was unofficial, basically they were trying the process out on us to see if it worked. They had fat calipers to measure your body fat. I was at 7%. Then you had to pee in a cup for hydration test. I couldn't go lower than 125lb if this process was applied. Before this was implemented kids were dying from cutting too much weight. One kid slept in a black heavy duty garbage bag to sweat in his sleep and never woke up. That hit home with me because I also slept in garbage bags to sweat in my sleep. The most I cut was 10lbs tho.

He needs to move up to BW, maybe He will not have the same power, but It is the most responsible thing to do

In 07 my senior year they did the same thing before the season started but it was unofficial, basically they were trying the process out on us to see if it worked. They had fat calipers to measure your body fat. I was at 7%. Then you had to pee in a cup for hydration test. I couldn't go lower than 125lb if this process was applied. Before this was implemented kids were dying cutting weight. One kid slept in a black heavy duty garbage bag to sweat in his sleep and never woke up. The most I cut was 10lbs.
Yeah its brutal, I use to run on a treadmill with a garbage bag on me and sweatshirts to get down to 171. We also use to chew gum and spit in a cup during our classes, it doesnt sound like much but it works lol. Im not a fan of weight cutting, especially for kids, but the way the larger weight classes jump up so much if you didnt cut weight you were getting steamrolled. 171 to 189 was a huge step up ...189 to 215 (not sure the exact weight, whatevers right below heavyweight) was even crazier when I only weighed like 180 lol. To my surprise I actually had a pretty good record at 215, most those guys were pretty slow and I could get them to gas a little bit...unless they were the high level guys in that weight class then I got my ass whooped lol

Overall though I think it was a good move for wrestling as a whole.

Fig should definitely go up for his health, but I have a feeling he'll have a hard time being top 15 at BW if he does.

Cody is a slim BW, TJ fought him closer to 150lbs.
IIRC on the same card DJ fought Cejudo, they were around Cody's weight too if not heavier, Fig cuts plenty, but nothing new for FLW's.

Back