The corner advice from coaches who have tried (and failed) to defeat Khabib Nurmagomedov

BusterBarry

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Great article written right after the Poirier fight. Discusses the corner advice of trainers/coaches that tried to get there fighter back into the fight lol
Khabib added another great coach in Trevor Wittman to his resume at UFC 254 :D

https://thebodylockmma.com/ufc/corner-advice-coaches-defeat-khabib-nurmagomedov/

The writer gives a couple of "lesson's" based on the comments/advice the coaches provided to their fighters:

Lesson #1 – Don’t expect Nurmagomedov to tire; it hasn’t happened yet

Lesson #2 – Having a striking advantage against Nurmagomedov has meant very little

Lesson #3 – Take the center early and be prepared to eat some shots

Lesson #4 – Planning to strike is great, but stopping the takedown is better

Wittman and Gaethje tried lessons 3 and 4 but they got finished way faster for all their troubles :D

Khabib Bless

EyXlEBGWYAM3fRq.jpeg.jpg

I feel like the secret would have been to throw away the previous ideas and try to offensively wrestle against Khabib, instead of just defensively wrestle and hope that gives you enough time to effectively strike

Probably would just get you countered and reversed and on the ground with Khabib atop you sooner, but it would have at least been different than what everyone else had tried and utterly failed to do

Lesson #2 – Having a striking advantage against Nurmagomedov has meant very little
Lesson 2 is very true. The threat of takedowns and the hectic pace Khabib keeps negate any sort of striking advantage on paper
1Ru13ay.gif

I feel like the secret would have been to throw away the previous ideas and try to offensively wrestle against Khabib, instead of just defensively wrestle and hope that gives you enough time to effectively strike

Probably would just get you countered and reversed and on the ground with Khabib atop you sooner, but it would have at least been different than what everyone else had tried and utterly failed to do
You gotta stay far away from Khabib. Even clinching up with him for a second will land you on your ass getting controlled from the top and not getting up the entire round :eek:

ThriftyFatalDrake-max-1mb.gif

This would have been really interesting to see. I remember when Penn took Fitch down the first two rounds of their fight and showed that this was a possibility.

the #1 lesson for me is find a way to get up. that's it. if anyone could do that with any kind of consistency he'd be a lot easier to deal with.

people try to stop him from taking them down but it's not really his takedowns that are scary, it's his top control. if someone could get up from under him, it would make him a lot less scary being on the ground with, or at the very least they could nullify his GnP somehow and stalemate the ground part of the fight.

obviously it's a big ask, but that's the only way i see you can beat Khabib.

the #1 lesson for me is find a way to get up. that's it. if anyone could do that with any kind of consistency he'd be a lot easier to deal with.

people try to stop him from taking them down but it's not really his takedowns that are scary, it's his top control. if someone could get up from under him, it would make him a lot less scary being on the ground with, or at the very least they could nullify his GnP somehow and stalemate the ground part of the fight.

Abel Trujillo got up 20 times but he also got taken down 21 times :D

Prime Khabib doesn't let you up that easily anymore and has evolved into a finisher especially in 5 rounders. Al was the only guy to get up more than average and make it to a 5 round decision

Last edited:

"Just stand up!" - Derrick Lewis

Cejudo has to un-retire and move up to 155, and try to out-wrestle the un-retired Khabib

Besides the Tibau loss has Mcgregor had the best go against Khabib?
McGregor Nuthugger spotted.
1. Khabib didn't lose against Tibau. He won a close decision. You could make the argument that Tibau should have won... fine. But to say he did in spite of the facts is stupid. It was no robbery. Media scores mostly for Tibau, fan scores mostly for Nurmagomedov, Judges all scored for Nurmagomedov. http://mmadecisions.com/decision/3577/fight
2. It's obvious why you threw this out there, to try and claim some kind of moral W for McGregor, but Poirer had Khabib in danger. McGregor? Not whatsoever. Iaquinta lasted 5 rounds. McGregor got finished. Gaethje was beating up the legs, probably doing the most damage to khabib. There are a million ways to slice the "who did better?", and in most of them McGregor did not.

Last edited:
Besides the Tibau loss has Mcgregor had the best go against Khabib?
Tibau did not beat Khabib

Conor probably had the best "full fight" with khabib but he was still getting dominated and only won one round after a bunch of cheating.

Dustin showed that he's the most well rounded fighter khabib has faced by clipping him on the feet and being able to threaten stuff on the ground. Conor was purely defensive on the ground while dustin took risks which resulted in a faster finish for khabib. Technically Dustin was the closest to beating khabib with that guillotine.

Gaehtje was the best at reacting and stopping the takedown itself and did the most damage to khabib with those leg kicks. Leg kicks are a double edged sword though so khabib timed one and took advantage of gaehtje's elementary jiu jitsu game.

maybe a guy that is amazing off his back could have a chance. Like BJJ world champion multiple times level.

Back