News Gilbert Burns brings in Bellator's Raymond Daniels to prepare for Stephen Thompson at UFC 264

13Seconds

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-to-raymond-daniels-training-stephen-thompson

"He has good movement, great footwork, a good poker face,” Burns told the South China Morning Post. “He does that very good, trying to be very friendly, but I know he likes to frustrate people, make the guys miss and be very comfortable. I brought a couple of karate guys and one of the guys especially was Raymond Daniels. He was here for two weeks, and he’s coming back next week, and I learned so much from these guys, little things that I wasn’t paying attention to.

“I always loved boxing and kickboxing, for sure wrestling and grappling, but I never paid too much attention to my footwork and for this camp I had to. I’m learning so much, and I think it’s not even about Stephen Thompson so much. It’s about me growing as an athlete, to get better in every single aspect in a couple of things that I never thought would make a difference in my game is making a lot of difference.”

“(Daniels) is freaking dangerous,”
Burns said. “And I was very impressed by him from the beginning because we already had a game plan. I already cornered Vicente Luque against ‘Wonderboy,’ so I’m very familiar with that style. We train with a couple of guys that do that style, and yeah, I was very surprised with the things that (Daniels has) been sharing with me, and I was able to pick up a lot of things. I was very impressed with Raymond Daniels’ game and ability and all the knowledge he has on striking.”

giphy.webp

TangibleWellwornBinturong-max-1mb.gif

ImmaculateSparseGrizzlybear-size_restricted.gif

5e1eb7d51ff373200d3b3248b73f2037.gif

Shoulda' brought in MVP. He's a better version of Wonderboy.

*at striking

"Gilbert Burns brings in Sage Northcutts brother in law to prepare for Stephen Thompson at UFC 264"
<{silvanormal}>

Seriously though, Daniels is an excellent guy to bring in to mimic Wonderboy.

Gilbert looked really good against Usman early on :)
I think he can take Wonderboy :D Should be a fun fight :)
OldIdealAidi-size_restricted.gif
WB does get hit from time to time. All that movement he does with his hands down leaves him stuck against the cage sometimes. Luque and Neal were able to crack him but they couldn’t follow up with anything.

This fight will be intense as fuck. Can't wait!

Raymond Daniels beat MVP and Wonderboy
Interesting. I'm reading about him. He had 11 years between his pro debut(Strikeforce 2008), and his second fight(Bellator 2019).
<mma4>

He’ll be well prepared for any spinning shit.

Really good training partner to be fair, for any fight this double ball kicking badass will keep you on your toes with his creativity.. Rate it.

That said, Wonderboy is Wonderboy, he's an enigma himself and i'd favour him if he doesn't get KO'd.

"Gilbert Burns brings in Sage Northcutts brother in law to prepare for Stephen Thompson at UFC 264"
<{silvanormal}>

Seriously though, Daniels is an excellent guy to bring in to mimic Wonderboy.

He’ll be well prepared for any spinning shit.

Really good training partner to be fair, for any fight this double ball kicking badass will keep you on your toes with his creativity.. Rate it.

That said, Wonderboy is Wonderboy, he's an enigma himself and i'd favour him if he doesn't get KO'd.

Im not entirely filled in with Daniels, but what's evident with Wonderboy is that he's toned down on the spinning/flashy shit over the years and puts more emphasis on side to side movement that ends with devastating hand combos. I hope for Giblerts sake Daniels can imitate that Thompson movement to a tee

Brb bout to binge watch Raymond Daniels fights

Gilbert looked really good against Usman early on :)
I think he can take Wonderboy :D Should be a fun fight :)
OldIdealAidi-size_restricted.gif

If burns had threw a knee right when he dropped usman the WW division would be really different now.

Btw did that count as an official knockdown? Noticing just now Usman's knees never hit the ground... Should be a knockdown but interesting sequence

Shoulda' brought in MVP. He's a better version of Wonderboy.

*at striking
Daniels is better than MVP. All MVP does is his hands down bouncing back and forth to his 1-2 or lead 2. Jumping knee here and there, and tornado kick here and there. Uses his footwork to move back and reset any time anyone tries to engage. That's his whole striking game. Daniels game is more complex and he's better skilled overall with more weapons. MVP does seem to punch harder though compared to Daniels. But Daniels definitely has the better kicking game.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...-to-raymond-daniels-training-stephen-thompson

"He has good movement, great footwork, a good poker face,” Burns told the South China Morning Post. “He does that very good, trying to be very friendly, but I know he likes to frustrate people, make the guys miss and be very comfortable. I brought a couple of karate guys and one of the guys especially was Raymond Daniels. He was here for two weeks, and he’s coming back next week, and I learned so much from these guys, little things that I wasn’t paying attention to.

“I always loved boxing and kickboxing, for sure wrestling and grappling, but I never paid too much attention to my footwork and for this camp I had to. I’m learning so much, and I think it’s not even about Stephen Thompson so much. It’s about me growing as an athlete, to get better in every single aspect in a couple of things that I never thought would make a difference in my game is making a lot of difference.”

“(Daniels) is freaking dangerous,”
Burns said. “And I was very impressed by him from the beginning because we already had a game plan. I already cornered Vicente Luque against ‘Wonderboy,’ so I’m very familiar with that style. We train with a couple of guys that do that style, and yeah, I was very surprised with the things that (Daniels has) been sharing with me, and I was able to pick up a lot of things. I was very impressed with Raymond Daniels’ game and ability and all the knowledge he has on striking.”

giphy.webp

TangibleWellwornBinturong-max-1mb.gif

ImmaculateSparseGrizzlybear-size_restricted.gif

5e1eb7d51ff373200d3b3248b73f2037.gif

Beautiful thread champ

Back