Why does Anderson Silva get released from his Ufc contract so he can box but not GSP?

Silva was losing fights left and right, much older, also Silva has been a company man and GSP quit on the UFC with two belts, also probably Silva fought out his contract and GSP might still have a few fights left.

Anderson was on a bad losing streak, he was expendable. GSP retired on a winning streak, and because of that he's still a draw so Dana wouldn't let him go. Also Dana hated GSP for not letting him exploit his career, GSP's legacy is still intact because of that.

Last edited:
Their inconsistency in treatment of fighters is usually about their bottom line but sometimes you can tell Dana let's his personal feelings and emotions get in the way of business despite him saying otherwise (he'd immediately bring up the tito situation, like he has before like 4 times already in different interviews)

What is the UFCs justification in letting one former champ have their freedom but not the other?

How would anyone here know the answer to this question?

Haven't seen a single answer that has some sense of credibility so far itt TS. I'm curious myself. But it would require someone who is intimately familiar with both AS's and GSP's contracts and how they differ. Not sure that person exists on sherdog. Maybe that avenue guy would have an idea, but I'm not sure. Could be you're asking the wrong people this question, it may require doing research of your own. Good luck. If ya find out, holla...

Dana didn't want him fighting anymore in UFC and held his contract in limbo for awhile. They most likely chose to release him instead of paying his high contract purse, this was the same time UFC was making huge cuts and cutting all the high contract fight purses with the older fighters that weren't in title contention anymore. Anderson was on a losing streak during that time as well and their last fight wasn't very exciting and Dana wasn't very happy with the way the fight played out. He had something negative to say about both the winner and loser of the fight. GSP is still a big name and last fight won the MW title and talks about fighting Khabib. They won't let that contract go.

Back