Biggest underdog in rematch after winning first fight since Serra/GSP 2?

HockeyBjj

Putting on the foil
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Black Beast looks to be +275 against Ngannou in the (not yet official) rematch despite winning a decision we're all trying to forget in 2018

Unless the rematch was 5 or more years later, when one party could be old and slow now, what are some other instances of fighters being significant underdogs in a rematch after winning the first fight?

Serra looks like he was +350 after beating GSP the first time and I have to imagine that's the biggest example of a winner being a dog in the rematch. Is Black Beast the biggest underdog winner since then?

Ngannou was clearly not at his best that night. I wouldn't expect a repeat performance from either of them, honestly. Lewis probably will lose a decision, but I expect a good fight either way

Only one bookie has put that line out and it very well may have just been to draw in early action.

Derrick will absolutely not hold at +275. +150 is the absolute maximum he will close at.

Chuck Liddell was +300 in the most recent Tito Ortiz fight if we're counting ridiculous freakshows...

No fighter better represents the "was losing, until he won" more than Derrick Lewis. It's like inside of him is a Bob Sapp that debates throwing the fight with every shot he takes, then somewhere even deeper, is a Beast that yells back "NO! FUCK THAT SHIT!" then he upends his opponent.

Bisping vs Rockhold 2?

I don't know how to search for old betting line but i'm pretty sure Bisping was underdog. And rightfully, at the time he was the old gatekeeper vs the new MW GOAT

Was Rose the favorite in the rematch with JJ?

Well Okami's first fight against Anderson was certainly one way to win a MMA bout lol

Silva_vs_Okami-upkick.gif

I don't know how to search for old betting line but i'm pretty sure Bisping was underdog. And rightfully, at the time he was the old gatekeeper vs the new MW GOAT

Was Rose the favorite in the rematch with JJ?

You're right, the question was "after winning first fight"

I highly doubt Bisping was the favorite.

Only one bookie has put that line out and it very well may have just been to draw in early action.

Derrick will absolutely not hold at +275. +150 is the absolute maximum he will close at.

Why would a bookie be offering early odds on a too heavy underdog bet they’d have to pay out extra for?

All the ngnnoou hype, plus him seeming more athletic than simply powerful like black beast, +250 sounds about right to me. *275 is within bookie swing of that

Back