Media Korean Zombie's Epic 2nd Round Against Dustin Poirier In Their 2012 Main Event Battle (video)

Gio

Wendy Belt
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
The round that brought the house down that night in Fairfax, 9 years ago.

Also the fight that most probably introduced KZ to the casual fans.

At this point, KZ's UFC stint has been:

UFC debut: First Twister Submission in UFC History
PPV debut: 2nd Fastest KO in UFC history (at that time) 7 seconds
First Korean to headline a UFC event (Title Eliminator Bout)
UFC Main Event debut: 2012 Fight of The Year + Title Shot Earned
(credits to @Minnja)

So if in case you're still wondering why does KZ gets so much love in here, it's because people used to love and be fans of humble yet exciting guys who let their fists do the talking and their winning ways earn them title shots. Unlike the years that followed where mainly it's the other way around.

Team Zombie all the way!

Last edited:
3 things:
1. Epic rolling transition
2. Reminds you of many WARS Poirer has been in and when will it be his time to fall off the cliff.
3. We all heard the "USA, USA, USA" chants, get over it already.

Yep, Dustin has so many fights and almost all are against the who's who, it's crazy.

Pulling for Korean Zombie all the way such a fun fighter and seems like a nice dude . Can't say I'm not worried about the Ige fight though with his mileage and age he could be on the way out .

Did Zombie really earn his title shot? Last time I checked he was a replacement for Anthony Pettis.

Did Zombie really earn his title shot? Last time I checked he was a replacement for Anthony Pettis.

I totally remember it was advertised as a title eliminator fight at that time. And a lot of media outlets said so.
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/...ight-card-zombie-vs-poirier/comment/100458485

He was next in line for the winner, but it got kinda rushed since Pettis pulls out. Which rumor has it it's because he can't make weight (145) and not because of injury at that time. It had everyone wondering why he is already ready to go and got cleared to step up for TJ Grant against Benson for the title, just few weeks after saying he was injured in the Aldo fight.

Last edited:
Dustin has always had an a great chin, koed once at lightweight and once at featherweight

Reactions: Gio
One of the most exciting rounds ever!

Sherdoggers love the Jung

">

eb1.gif

I love the Jung

I agree. This was KZ's coming out party.

I think it should have showed everyone that KZ isn't just a brawler and that he is more than just an exciting fighter. Definitely a turning point in his career.

I think it should have showed everyone that KZ isn't just a brawler and that he is more than just an exciting fighter. Definitely a turning point in his career.

Up to this day, Dustin has mentioned that KZ has been the most complete fighter he has faced, he said it in his Hot One's guesting.

I totally remember it was advertised as a title eliminator fight at that time. And a lot of media outlets said so.
https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2012/4/...ight-card-zombie-vs-poirier/comment/100458485

He was next in line for the winner, but it got kinda rushed since Pettis pulls out. Which rumor has it it's because he can't make weight (145) and not because of injury at that time. It had everyone wondering why he is already ready to go and got cleared to step up for TJ Grant against Benson for the title, just few weeks after saying he was injured in the Aldo fight.
I’m pretty sure Jung wasn’t next, it was definitely Lamas or Mendes who was rightfully top contender. Jung was a replacement.

I’m pretty sure Jung wasn’t next, it was definitely Lamas or Mendes who was rightfully top contender. Jung was a replacement.

At this point, Lamas was 2-0 in the UFC (2-1 in his last 3). Mendes just lost his shot to Aldo, 0-1 in the UFC and was slated to fight Cody McKenzie next. KZ was 3-0, KO'd Hominick who has put Aldo in danger for the 1st time and took him to the distance, and beat Poirier who has a 5-0 win streak with their fight billed as a title eliminator fight.

Last edited:

IIRC KZ v. Lamas was suppose to happen but then Pettis got injured and they ended up pulling KZ from the Lamas fight or Lamas got injured or something like that. Fairly certain the KZ v. Lamas matchup was near that time period. If KZ beat Lamas though he would have definitely been #1 contender so I don't think it was like a completely unwarranted title shot.

At the time Mendes was on a similar streak to KZ but KZ's was definitely more warranting of a title shot (fast KO over Hominick coming off a title fight, beat Poirier who was ranked vs. Mendes beating two unranked fighters and Elkin who may have been top 10 at the time). It was a toss up between those two.

KZ v. Lamas never happening sucks. That would have been a fun matchup.

Back