Why the Korean Zombie is 'a little bit sad' with UFC on ESPN 25 main event spot

TCE

"That's fucking illegal"
Pink Belt
Reaction score
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...ean-zombie-little-sad-main-event-spot-dan-ige

“I’ve been asking for a co-main event to do three rounds,” Jung told MMA Junkie through an interpreter at Wednesday’s UFC on ESPN 25 media day. “They didn’t give it to me. I was a little bit sad about that. There’s also an upside to being a main event. You get a lot more attention. A little bit more money and stuff like that. I definitely wanted to do a three-rounder.”

“He’s a great all-around fighter,” Jung said. “He likes to brawl, he’s an aggressive fighter which makes for an exciting fight. I’m super sorry, but I (only) knew who Ige was when he fought (Calvin) Kattar. … Dan’s a brawler. If he wants to brawl, I’ll more than welcome that kind of fight. I thought a lot of people were saying that about Ortega, too, that he was going to brawl with me. I was ready for that and it never happened. So, we’ll see what happens.”

Jung said he thinks this is a hugely important fight for his career. He would’ve likely received a title shot if he’d beaten Ortega at UFC Fight Night 180 in October. The 145-pound division is growing deeper by the day, and new contenders are emerging. If the 34-year-old Jung wants to keep pace, he said winning at UFC on ESPN 25 is a must.

“I definitely look at the rankings,” Jung said. “I still believe I’m in title contention, and my goal is to win a world title. If for some what-odd reason that I do lose this fight, then maybe I will be kind of an exciting fighter.”

Setting up the cardio excuse?
<{fry}>

Zombie Apocalypse is rising from the dead 6/19 !!!
I got you.
tenor.gif

This wanting 3 round main event thing is really weird. I don't know that you get title shots off of only 3 rounders any more. I'd have to look.

Also him expecting Ortega just to brawl is weird. So if Ige just doesn't brawl KZ can't do anything? What universe is this, where is my Korean Zombie?!

Why not put him on a PPV sometimes? Especially since it's not like he's always asking for it.

Yeah I was surprised to hear this one was a main-event since KZ specifically mentioned he will only take three-rounders next. Guess the dust settled and he realized he is one of the most popular asian fighters so the UFC is going to get every mile out of it. Training camps for five-rounders are exponentially harder to prepare for according to a lot of fighters. I guess after having so many in a row KZ figured he could fight differently with a three-rounder. Less worry when it comes to energy used, etc.

Will be a banger of a fight nonetheless.

i dont think he's worried about Cardio - he's worried about Damage....Last few fights since he been back from his Service, he been very tenant about taking so much damage, as he should. So i can see why he didnt want to deal with 5 rounds banging....

….That statement doesn’t exactly ooze confidence coming in to this fight. Change your bets.
Judging by KZ’s last performance and Ige’s rise. I think Dan takes this one. KZ has been in some absolute wars, He may be on the decline.

Well that's true, everyone is scared to brawl with the Zombie...

sigh. I hope Ige's different and engages a few times. That's my only worry, if not then we we'll see a barn burner fa sho.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021...ean-zombie-little-sad-main-event-spot-dan-ige

“I’ve been asking for a co-main event to do three rounds,” Jung told MMA Junkie through an interpreter at Wednesday’s UFC on ESPN 25 media day. “They didn’t give it to me. I was a little bit sad about that. There’s also an upside to being a main event. You get a lot more attention. A little bit more money and stuff like that. I definitely wanted to do a three-rounder.”

“He’s a great all-around fighter,” Jung said. “He likes to brawl, he’s an aggressive fighter which makes for an exciting fight. I’m super sorry, but I (only) knew who Ige was when he fought (Calvin) Kattar. … Dan’s a brawler. If he wants to brawl, I’ll more than welcome that kind of fight. I thought a lot of people were saying that about Ortega, too, that he was going to brawl with me. I was ready for that and it never happened. So, we’ll see what happens.”

Jung said he thinks this is a hugely important fight for his career. He would’ve likely received a title shot if he’d beaten Ortega at UFC Fight Night 180 in October. The 145-pound division is growing deeper by the day, and new contenders are emerging. If the 34-year-old Jung wants to keep pace, he said winning at UFC on ESPN 25 is a must.

“I definitely look at the rankings,” Jung said. “I still believe I’m in title contention, and my goal is to win a world title. If for some what-odd reason that I do lose this fight, then maybe I will be kind of an exciting fighter.”
Sad Introspective Zombie is the hero we need

I got you.
tenor.gif

This wanting 3 round main event thing is really weird. I don't know that you get title shots off of only 3 rounders any more. I'd have to look.

Also him expecting Ortega just to brawl is weird. So if Ige just doesn't brawl KZ can't do anything? What universe is this, where is my Korean Zombie?!
A lot of champs never had 5 rounders before they were in title fights. Fig and moreno, yan and aljo, volk and izzy didn't. Don't think Jan did either. No one mentioned it before it became a requirement for zabit for some reason.

A lot of champs never had 5 rounders before they were in title fights. Fig and moreno, yan and aljo, volk and izzy didn't. Don't think Jan did either. No one mentioned it before it became a requirement for zabit for some reason.
Right before a title fight? Looking at your examples you are 100% correct and thank you for the knowledge drop. Jan was the closest with one 5 round fight before hand. Alright I had a bad take. Ima do more research before I post something like that.

Back