Carlos Condit vs Tony Ferguson: Who would win at catchweight?

achoo42

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
These two were pretty similar in regards to their body type and career paths:
  • Neither of them have ever been knocked out cold despite taking brutal punishment
  • Neither of them ever gassed out, despite fighting at a high pace
  • Both were volume strikers who grinded their opponents into exhaustion
  • Both were mediocre wrestlers but had strong BJJ skills to make up for it
    • Ferguson had stronger offensive submissions, especially chokes
    • Condit was better off his back, with a great defensive guard
And both went straight downhill after taking an inhuman beating (for Condit it was Lawler, for Ferg it was Gaethje).

So before their decline, who would have won at catchweight if they had ever fought?

I like Condit more but I would say Ferg.

Ferg is the better fighter but stylewise, Condit is very durable and has great cardio

That fight would have been crazy in 2015/16.

Condit is not that much bigger than Tony, maybe a bit. The level of violence would have been something else. Both guys bleeding by the end of it.

That fight would have been crazy in 2015/16.

Condit is not that much bigger than Tony, maybe a bit. The level of violence would have been something else. Both guys bleeding by the end of it.

Tony was a welterweight before entering the UFC, if I remember correctly. So yeah catchweight might not even be necessary.

Would be a good final retirement fight for both. A year ago I'd say Tony definitely wins, but now I'm not so sure. But this is the type of fight he needs now, against a similarly past prime guy. And a guy who will stand and strike with him rather than trying to grapple fuck him for 15 mins.

For aging legends, these are the types of fights I want to see. Pointless beyond just having a fun scrap.

100% Tony has earned a money fight or two. Even though he has lost his last few his popularity can not be denied. I'd like to see Nick Diaz vs Tony

Condit mops the floor with him.

Can't even think of any decent LWs or WWs that Ferg could beat anymore.

Two of the more frustrating fighters to watch these last handful of years. Not a Ferg fan but I love(d) watching him fight, big fan of Condit.

I'm not sure who would win but i'd probably be yelling at the screen cause my expectations were too high and they aren't fighting how they should. At the end of the day though, i'd have to take Condit without tooo much hesitation.

I like this fight. I’ll go with Condit though I think my decision is a stupid one based on the fact that T Ferguson losses have been to legit top guys.

Both in their prime? Condit would destroy Tony.

Back