Media (New) Wei Li pad work

I hope she and her team are spending all of their time re-working her footwork and throwing out her previous gameplan vs Rose. It was lazy, predictable and utterly subservient to Rose's predictable gameplan of using feints to pick her shots on her terms at her pace for the entire fight and oh I fucking called it.

If she and her team have any brains they let someone else fight Rose to help disrupt her prep. Weili will have a much better time if they can fix those problems and come back with a pressure/clinch heavy style to counter Rose's typical clinch exits and intercept that heavy lead leg entry. IMO Weili can fucking destroy her but doing an immediate rematch is being just as idiotic as what Joanna's team did with her rematch with Rose.

I honestly thought Weili's team was at least at the level Rose's is but nope.

Stop releasing training footage. That is how they got you the first time. I hope they are smarter than the traditional Thai way of just train harder. Zhang still needs a MMA coach that gameplans. I know she visited Jackson before and probably left because training was subpar but she still needs someone to gameplan.

I hope she and her team are spending all of their time re-working her footwork and throwing out her previous gameplan vs Rose. It was lazy, predictable and utterly subservient to Rose's predictable gameplan of using feints to pick her shots on her terms at her pace for the entire fight and oh I fucking called it.

If she and her team have any brains they let someone else fight Rose to help disrupt her prep. Weili will have a much better time if they can fix those problems and come back with a pressure/clinch heavy style to counter Rose's typical clinch exits and intercept that heavy lead leg entry. IMO Weili can fucking destroy her but doing an immediate rematch is being just as idiotic as what Joanna's team did with her rematch with Rose.

I picked Wei Li to lose too, for the same reasons.. tbh I doubt they change that much in her game plan this time, they aren't one of those modern strategic style camps.

Regardless I still think Wei Li has a chance, I think they will look at more tape of Rose and look at safe ways to control the distance, move forward and keep pressure on her. Wei Li is a great athlete and if she can get inside, she can get it done..

Stop releasing training footage. That is how they got you the first time. I hope they are smarter than the traditional Thai way of just train harder. Zhang still needs a MMA coach that gameplans. I know she visited Jackson before and probably left because training was subpar but she still needs someone to gameplan.

I agree about the gameplan.

Nothing wrong with posting training footage, I like her form / technique.. snappy and crisp.

To be fair, she’s always look good on pads. This pad work was good but I didn’t see anything special…

If I’m really being a critic, those punches look strong and clean but I also saw a little labor in her arms/shoulders, throwing the hooks. She lost some speed in doing that, but I’m sure she was focusing on power.

That’s just an honest opinion based off the comparison of pro-boxing/striking level technique

Last edited:
To be fair, she’s always looks good on pads. This pad work was good but I didn’t see anything special…

If I’m really being a critic, those punches looks strong and clean but I also saw a little labor in her arms/shoulders, throwing the hooks. She lost some speed in doing that, but I’m sure she was focusing on power.

That’s just an honest opinion based off the comparison of pro-boxing/striking level technique

Hey it's not the best pad work of all time, but it's good technique for mma standard and especially wmma.

She looks the same as she always does on pads. Fast, aggressive and hard hitting.

For the most part everyone whose trained for any length of time looks like a killer on the pads.

I picked Wei Li to lose too, for the same reasons.. tbh I doubt they change that much in her game plan this time, they aren't one of those modern strategic style camps.

Regardless I still think Wei Li has a chance, I think they will look at more tape of Rose and look at safe ways to control the distance, move forward and keep pressure on her. Wei Li is a great athlete and if she can get inside, she can get it done..
Rose is one of those fighters that you have to fight a certain way to beat. She spends so much time training for her opponent that when they don't do as planned panic sets in and she starts seeing mistakes/problems and it begins a cascading effect.

Look at what KK did to her. KK was losing that fight but accidentally stumbled upon Rose's complete and utter disregard for clinch fighting. KK made that fight so fucking ugly that Rose forgot how to grapple to a point where KK was GnPing her at will.

A lot of camps have their fighters prep a specific way that their fighter is comfortable doing. That makes them incredibly predictable. The obvious move vs Rose even in the 2nd JJ fight was clinch fighting. For the brief moment the two of them were locked together JJ was destroying Rose at will. It only changed when she was screamed at by Mike to stop.

Since then Rose's clinch game has improved significantly but not enough to want to stay there. She has added counters to break a clinch usually using a heavy knee and immediately exiting. She does it immediately without thinking because it's easier to do that than spending years trying to learn how to properly clinch fight. She is never going to learn how to do that. How many scary clinch fighters are there at 115? Like 2. One of them she will never have to ever face again and the other one is so predictable that I don't think they will ever even make it into the clinch with Rose.

If Weili's team does what they did prior and just overall improve and add some counters she is going to end up exactly like Joanna but without any of her business skills to make a life post athletic career.

I just don't like seeing fighters at the top making really obvious mistakes you can see a mile away.

Can she beat Rose? Sure I'll give her a slightly better chance than Joanna had in the 2nd Rose fight because unlike Joanna she is still in her prime and is a significantly better athlete. But when you put all of the cards on the table she isn't likely to win. Rose would never ever take a fight like that and hasn't since 2014. That's the difference in career management. Only take fights where you have a significant advantage and pull every fucking excuse to not fight until you are over prepared.

I realize that's not always true. Some fighters have amazing performance with little to no prep. Ask Bisping. But not everyone has a really obvious flaw that is relatively easy to prep for the way Luke had. Rose's flaws are significantly more difficult to deal with and outside of a few fighters in her division nobody currently possesses the skills to deal with them.

Last edited:

Joanna fought a good fight the second time, that fight was very close. I do agree that it might be good to let Rose fight someone else first. It's too bad that Andrade got destroyed by Valentina. That would be the natural fight to make. Andrade won by KO slam the first fight then lost the second fight while beating the snot out of Rose that third round. I'd love to see the third fight, especially a five rounder.

everyone looks good on pads.

The thing here is, Is her team going to fix her issues or just keep training hard?

Back