When you did you became a UFC Fan?

MrPsychoticKane

The Prize Fighting Cartoonist
@Brown
Reaction score
I became a fan just by watching Masvidal beat up Diaz at a pub but when I was a kid, I owned UFC Undisputed 2009 but wasn't a fan. I just wanted to play the game. I had no idea who the fighters were but I remembered getting my butt kicked by mark Coleman who I thought at the time was a boxer with knockout power thus His nickname "The Hammer". Weirdly he looked nothing like His game counterpart. I had the chance to watch UFC live around when Wanderlei was fighting Bisping but I was a full-on pro wrestling fan at the time and saw WWE live instead (My biggest regret so far) then I watched a few UFC PPV's around maybe when I was becoming a teenager. but I still wasn't a fan of MMA but somehow I was good at guessing who won the fights, I was like Mystic Mac. but yeah, that's how I became a fan.

I became a fan just by watching Masvidal beat up Diaz at a pub but when I was a kid, I owned UFC Undisputed 2009 but wasn't a fan. I just wanted to play the game. I had no idea who the fighters were but I remembered getting my butt kicked by mark Coleman who I thought at the time was a boxer with knockout power thus His nickname "The Hammer". Weirdly he looked nothing like His game counterpart. I had the chance to watch UFC live around when Wanderlei was fighting Bisping but I was a full-on pro wrestling fan at the time and saw WWE live instead (My biggest regret so far) then I watched a few UFC PPV's around maybe when I was becoming a teenager. but I still wasn't a fan of MMA but somehow I was good at guessing who won the fights, I was like Mystic Mac. but yeah, that's how I became a fan.

Since I was a kid because I always liked fighting. I always thought fighting was interesting.

How long ago was Masvidal v Diaz? You were a kid then, surely you’re still a young pup now? Damn you! :)

Lifelong combat sports fan, obsessed since enter the dragon. Saw UFC 1 and 2 on vhs not longer after the 2nd event came out, then didn’t see any other MMA till I moved to the US. First day there I want to the video store while my mrs was at work for something to do, probably on UFC 14 by then? Then watched every dvd/vhs they had, MMA geek ever since. Dominated my tv time ever since. Love this shit.

As a kid, I watched the tapes of the old UFCs, since my Dad told me about watching the original event on PPV.

The first event I saw on live broadcast was UFC 44, headlined by Randy v. Tito. I was instantly hooked. It's been wild (and sometimes frustrating) to see the sport grow and attract a much broader audience.

First saw a rented blockbuster tape at a Hs friend’s house.

Honestly became a fan watching ultimate knockouts 1 on cable in about 2005, watched a ton of events (on blockbuster VHS) that year while recovering from a shoulder surgery while gf (now wife) was working at blockbuster.

Started watching PPVs around TUF 1 era after going to a house party to watch Chuck vs Randy 2 (which was also Hughes vs Trigg where Hughes got kicked in the balls iirc) then started watching best of PrideFC on cable and watching highlights on YouTube, found Sherdog and started my first account iirc in 2006. Got made fun of for being a “TUF NOOB.”

Last edited:
Shortly after Badr Hari kicked Remy Bonjasky in the K-1 GP Final. Bitch took a dive and exposed the corruption in the sport. Nothing that different in UFC really but K-1 isn't even a thing anymore.

watched a couple Chuck Liddell fights but never a full card and then dipped out for a while, then had a bit of interest in Dan Hardy and Paul Semtex as they were hometown dudes and I read about them in newspapers and shit... But really Anderson Silva era was what got me hooked, because I watched a Rap Battle Podcast that always talked about his fights,Jones fights, Ronda and Conor all added to my casual interest even more.. Now I watch multiple promotions and pretty much every UFC for a good few years now from first Early Prelim to Main Event, and I live in England so that's basically 11PM until 5AM every Saturday night.

In the early 2000"s there was a group of guys training at my local gym. I knew one of them and he invited me to train with them. He gave me a Mario Sperry instructional video and some Pride fights to watch on VHS. Was hooked after that.

tenor.gif

I used to watch Monday Night pro wrestling. These MMA guys would come in and were supposed to be super bad ass. Fry, Severn, Tank, Shamrock etc all were doing pro wrestling back then. Had to check out this MMA stuff. IDK, maybe this was 1997 or 98?

UFC 40. I was a little WWF goof who wanted to see Ken Shamrock in a real fight.

Naturally, whenever I get into an argument on Sherdog my "opponent" calls me a McGregor casual because of my join date.
<Dany07>

Well I guess when I was a wackadoodle peace loving hippie my friends tried to get me to watch UFC for years but I was superior to those apes of course and wouldn't watch 'human cockfighting' . God I was so dumb. Still kinda am lol.

I started watching around Forrest vs 'Page and TUF13. I remember watching something and Dana was like 'MMA is like a blackhole, once you're hooked it's over" and that was 100% true for me. I went all in - my friends started giving me Pride collections, all their UFCs and I just consumed all of it. Started my own huge collection of DVDs I actually sold off a couple years ago. Wish I could find my ebay sale page... just so I could remember some of the smaller orgs and stuff. But this is about UFC. So that's it... except...

Got my mom to buy me my first MMA DVD - Pride 2000 Openweight tournament at K-mart baby!!!!

Back