Are you ok with “win by any means” champs like Izzy?

Martialbeef

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
I’m not sure i am. He isn’t entertaining because his style is to counter strike, and generally point fight, unless the guy he is fighting is super aggressive.

Do i appreciate his skills? Of course, but after watching him do this once or twice it gets tiresome.

The annoying thing about Izzy is that he would be an incredibly good offensive fighter if he tried to inflict more violence. He has the movement and quickness. Underrated hands too. I don’t think his ceiling is too much higher than where he is just now popularity wise. If he’s cool to cash cheques and get uninspiring safe wins then fair play.

Same goes for Volk except the difference is he lost his last title fight

Last edited:
Don’t put Izzy in the same sentence as Anderson my guy

"He isn’t entertaining because his style is to counter strike"

Why not? Counter Striking is boring after one or two fights apparently and Anderson is one of the best counter strikers to ever exist.

We can pretend Anderson didn't have his own fair share of lackluster yet dominant fights on his resume aswell if we want.

I always likened him to the Tiki-Taka brand of football... Which ironically often uses a formation that doesn't have a striker.

Marmite though, some love it and some fall asleep.

Its a spectator sport. Safety first fighters are not that exciting compared to the likes of Conor McGregor whose never been in a boring fight win or lose.

Meh, not all ppl can appreciate high level striking. Its probably not for u but hes getting more and more popular and tht means whatever hes doing is working. I remember back when Adesanya's IG followers is below 2 mil. Now its 5,1 mil. 300k increase from few days ago before he fought vettori. Dude is very popular and lots of ppl appreciate what he brings to the table.

"He isn’t entertaining because his style is to counter strike"

Why not? Counter Striking is boring after one or two fights apparently and Anderson is one of the best counter strikers to ever exist.

We can pretend Anderson didn't have his own fair share of lackluster yet dominant fights on his resume aswell if we want.

Anderson for the most part faced the right opponents to make his matches exciting.

A lot of people hate on him for the Maia fight but I thought the way Anderson was clowning him was entertaining, I was also entertained by how mad Dana was over that fight.

I consider him to generally be a boring point fighter. Unless his opponent is completely wreckless, his fights are garbage to watch. But, I knew that shit wouldn’t fly against Jan. And if Whittaker fights with a smart gameplan he should be able to take the rematch.

Izzy is very good. But like Shevchenko.. They just don’t entertain me at all, for the most part.

Anderson for the most part faced the right opponents to make his matches exciting.

A lot of people hate on him for the Maia fight but I thought the way Anderson was clowning him was entertaining, I was also entertained by how mad Dana was over that fight.

Oh I enjoyed it aswell but wouldn't necessarily call it "exciting" same with the Leites one. They were definitely "win by any means" fights. But for me fights like that make Anderson who he is.

Honestly, I'm fine with it. If izzy can outclass opponents without ever getting out of 2nd or 3rd gear, that's the ideal approach.

To me, Arona was the only guy who I sincerely couldn't enjoy watching win bouts conservatively.
He fought dirtier than anyone (fingers in sakuraba's cuts, the late punch on overeem after Reem tapped out) while using his top game to put 80,000 fans to sleep.

Now THAT was a miserable prick to watch fight.

me too

lol

This is just exaggerated, and the typical latest fights critique. The absolute clinic and destruction he put on Costa was only like 9 months ago. When Israel finishes someone again you won't hear any of this again until he wins a decision again, and vice versa. Anyone who's not ok with it, just has to deal with it and that's it.

I would rather watch someone fight in a boring but intelligent manner than foolishly aggressive, at least in high stakes fights. It frustrates me to no end to watch someone with a clear path to victory refuse to take that path. Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun when someone throws caution to the wind, but seeing someone lose a belt or a chance to fight for one because they chose to do something like that just makes me shake my head at their stupidity.

Back