Maia needs to go up in weight or retire...

TrueFightFan

Fight Purist
Banned
Reaction score
He is getting to old to make the weight cut and he looks visibly drained before the fights even start. He still has a good chin and he would probably be much more energetic. I don't think strength will be an issue but so many guys are afraid of fighting at their natural weights.

As i've said a few times now, I just want to see him coaching and in peoples corners.. If I could train with any UFC fighter ever I think he'd be very close if not top of the list.

He can do some fun grappling super fights. Also he can be an extremely useful coach to teach bjj used for mma or self defense.

He’s 44. He’s giving the top guys all the can handle
He beat up Colby on the feet even. Nobody wants to engage him at all. He’s just old.

He’s 44. He’s giving the top guys all the can handle
He beat up Colby on the feet even. Nobody wants to engage him at all. He’s just old.

Uh did you even watch the fight? He used Maia as a punching bag. If Covington had even the slightest amount of power, he would have finished him

Let Maia gain 80lbs in six months and he can sub Francis for the belt.

I hate watching aged fighters perform anymore, especially this last year..

But Maia can still compete just fine. Belal has extraordinary takedown defense and can point box well = a bad matchup.

As long as the ufc doesn't cleverly match Maia against his poison, he's likely to top the records he's after.

Uh did you even watch the fight? He used Maia as a punching bag. If Covington had even the slightest amount of power, he would have finished him
Colby barely landed 30% of his strikes. Maia busted him open. They landed around the same and Colby threw like 3 times more.

It’s hard to tell a fighter not to fight, but it’s time.

He’s actually not too heavy for a WW. He said in a podcast that he walks around 185lbs/84kg.

Let Maia gain 80lbs in six months and he can sub Francis for the belt.

Or, drop enough weight, remove a rib, then move into the women's division? Give him another 10 years maybe...Debbie Maia ? LOL , nah, I respect Maia allot and think its amazing he has fought this long. Its hard for some of these fighters that love their sport so much...thats cool...but..whats the point if he keeps fighting? is it worth it?

His reaction time and hand speed has not changed and he is 44. I seen it in sports, where, you get someone who just does not care about weights..they look the same with no extra muscle...they do everything like cardio wise but they just train to hit the ball or pitch..Well, they seem to always have way less injuries or none, and around 40, they look just as good. In contrast, to all the roiders and weight lifters increasing in injuries around 35 and by 40 its like their body is just too beat up. Maia I think is a good example. I know roads can help you recover faster but all drugs have a rebound effect that we dont see that I think causes more damage than good and the lifting that is unnaturally gained.

He's just old, sounds like Dana is through with him so likely he'll jump to Bellator to make some money and end his career.

Colby barely landed 30% of his strikes. Maia busted him open. They landed around the same and Colby threw like 3 times more.

Actually Colby outstruck Maia 88-53 ...

"Around the same" give or take 34% right?

Or, drop enough weight, remove a rib, then move into the women's division? Give him another 10 years maybe...Debbie Maia ? LOL , nah, I respect Maia allot and think its amazing he has fought this long. Its hard for some of these fighters that love their sport so much...thats cool...but..whats the point if he keeps fighting? is it worth it?

His reaction time and hand speed has not changed and he is 44. I seen it in sports, where, you get someone who just does not care about weights..they look the same with no extra muscle...they do everything like cardio wise but they just train to hit the ball or pitch..Well, they seem to always have way less injuries or none, and around 40, they look just as good. In contrast, to all the roiders and weight lifters increasing in injuries around 35 and by 40 its like their body is just too beat up. Maia I think is a good example. I know roads can help you recover faster but all drugs have a rebound effect that we dont see that I think causes more damage than good and the lifting that is unnaturally gained.
He’s actually not too heavy for a WW. He said in a podcast that he walks around 185lbs/84kg.

He should give a shot at 185 and determine where he goes after that. As we get older, those weight cuts become more draining and even a 15lb cut can hurt. I don't see him being explosive anymore at 170.

Back