News Did Gaethje change Ferguson career?

Geniusss

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Just rewatching this fight from this highlights video.

Gaethje really hurt him, it seems like he broke Ferguson's soul
Ferguson has not been the same since then.

Gaethje beat him up so bad, It hurts just watching it, it seems like one of those fights that change fighters' lives

His best win is RDA, which is a good win. Otherwise he struggled with guys with much less skill. He got by on aggression and toughness for such a long time. Gaethje was the only guy besides RDA who could fuck with top guys and he got punished. Fucked around and found out so to speak. I think Gaethje changed him, but I don't think a fight vs Poirer, Chandler, or Khabib would have been any different.

His best win is RDA, which is a good win. Otherwise he struggled with guys with much less skill. He got by on aggression and toughness for such a long time. Gaethje was the only guy besides RDA who could fuck with top guys and he got punished. Fucked around and found out so to speak. I think Gaethje changed him, but I don't think a fight vs Poirer, Chandler, or Khabib would have been any different.
Can you name 5 LWs in UFC history that have a better resume of names than Tony? Khabib? Poirier? Maybe Eddie. Tony was also nearly 37 when he fought Gaethje.

i wouldn't say gaethje broke him, i just think after that fight ferguson started to take less risks thinking that was why he lost, when in reality it was just a shit matchup. which ultimately led to his downfall, as his style relied on his awkwardness and such imo.

Can you name 5 LWs in UFC history that have a better resume of names than Tony? Khabib? Poirier? Maybe Eddie. Tony was also nearly 37 when he fought Gaethje.
Well the UFC light weight division has a pretty bizarre history in general tbf

Tony has been flirting with father time for a while. Keep in mind he’s 37. He was most likely on the decline when he fought Gaethje and taking damage like that did him absolutely no favors. So in a way, yes. Plus Tony’s style built on breaking people doesn’t age well to begin with.

Tony is too tough for his own good. He survived to the final bell of that fight, but his chin didn't

I'm sure it didn't help, but seems like he was on the cusp anyway. Oliveira and Dariush proved he wasn't gonna be a match for Khabib and there might be other guys capable of putting a Gaethje-level clinic on him on the feet.

I think he just primed out and the game moved on without him.

Considering his best win is RDA and the only win at 155 I think has aged well at all. Anyone with 2 good wins lol

Yeah it is a simple as age caught up with Tony and he missed his window. His in a division where performance falls off with age hardest. His also noticeably smaller than other fighters in the division IMO (obviously they weigh in the same, but I think the fight night weight would normally be less than opponent).

Considering his best win is RDA and the only win at 155 I think has aged well at all. Anyone with 2 good wins lol
Lazy answer. I already gave you 3 answers. So basically you can’t find more than a few guys in MMA history with a better resume than wins over Trujillo, Castillo, Edwards, Tibau, Thomson, Barboza, RDA, Lee, Pettis and Cowboy. Pretty much all ranked and on win streaks or coming off top 10 wins when they fought Tony. And if you want to talk about “aging well” you can destroy any fighters resume almost by doing that. Based on that, Frankie’s wins over BJ or Conor and Dustin’s win over Eddie have all aged horribly. Based on that, Gaethje doesn’t have a single good win in his career.

This notion that Tony “never fought anybody” is silly as shit. You can call his win streak overrated but it’s still a top 10 LW resume of all time at the very bare minimum.

nope, he just exposed Tony's flaws and FOLLOWED a strict gameplan.

tony's wins were done by sheer toughness, chin and grit that hides his flaws as a fighter, he didn't beat bums but those fighters underestimated Tony's toughness and tried to finish him early. Only johnson and Gaethje maneged to follow a plan and not fool themselves into tony's toughness. the rest thought they could beat him by sheer pressure and fell through.

Lazy answer. I already gave you 3 answers. So basically you can’t find more than a few guys in MMA history with a better resume than wins over Trujillo, Castillo, Edwards, Tibau, Thomson, Barboza, RDA, Lee, Pettis and Cowboy. Pretty much all ranked and on win streaks or coming off top 10 wins when they fought Tony. And if you want to talk about “aging well” you can destroy any fighters resume almost by doing that. Based on that, Frankie’s wins over BJ or Conor and Dustin’s win over Eddie have all aged horribly. Based on that, Gaethje doesn’t have a single good win in his career.

This notion that Tony “never fought anybody” is silly as shit. You can call his win streak overrated but it’s still a top 10 LW resume of all time at the very bare minimum.

In MMA history? BJ Penn, Takanori Gomi, Shinya Aoki, Benson Henderson, Eddie Alvarez, Gilbert Melendez, Joachim Hansen, Anthony Pettis.

It's not hard.

Trujillo, Castillo, Tibau, Lee aren't even good wins. They're fine wins. Thomson was on a 2 fight losing streak and on the downside of his career. The fact you think beating Cowboy is something worthwhile in the last 5 years is laughable my friend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back