Knowing when you’re beaten- Fight another day = Wise career management?

Garnet_StrongerThanYou

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
8aacb878d914c72c570111e1e56d1d8d.gif

Hughes Submitting GSP with a few seconds left on the clock.

GSP probably could have finished the round and risked damage to his arm.

Instead he chose to fight another day and learn from the experience.

Became the WW goat in the process.

GSP+tapping+to+Strikes.gif

GSP tapping to strikes instead of giving a thumbs up to the ref and trying to weather the storm.

Same concept. Chose to fight another day, learned from the loss and got stronger.

Similarly. In the Diaz and Khabib fights, When hurt or gassed, conor gives up his back for the easy submission.

He even shot for a takedown so the fight would go to the ground in the first Diaz fight rather than take a prolonged beating.

Why take Brain Damage?

upload_2021-6-14_0-1-55.jpeg

391ad0_7e44d042e3eb48f7ac49e630f50dbb8d~mv2.gif

I think it’s better than going out like these guys:

06af09b5a189c00b2a9bf31c188792db_crop_north.jpg

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5d502cb268cb0a00091696f3%2F0x0.jpg

I agree to a certain extent. The whole "warriors don't tap" that was popularized by the Gracie is admirable in a certain way, but it's still incredibly dumb and dangerous.

I don't mean that fighters should tap whenever they face a bit of adversity, but incurring long term damage cause you want to protect your warrior reputation should not be applauded

Few have the talent that GSP and McGregor have. Most guys wouldn't last long in the UFC if they folded up shop when the going got tough. I don't really blame GSP on either of those though. He was done in both cases. Hughes was gonna break his arm and Serra was going to beat him unconscious. He was hurt bad, mounted, and defenseless.

McGregor vs. Diaz was absolutely a business decision though. He was hurt and tiring, but still in the fight. But he wanted out and he knew getting submitted wouldn't hurt his brand nearly as badly as getting TKO'd, so he shot in on Diaz who defended at first out of instinct before realizing that hey, if this dude wants to play on the mat let's go. He's basically waving the white flag.

GSP ended his career as the goat duck.
Come on man. You know better than this. Goat Duck is a mythological creature that hops around Southern Kansas City at night leaving it's webbed hoof imprints in a straight line as it hops through the streets and bounds to the rooftops.

I think you meant a duck GOAT, but I'll agree to disagree.

I agree mostly. The first example with GSP Hughes, I think was a bit premature and maybe his bjj wasnt competent enough at that stage where he could find a way out or to at least fight it off. As athletic as he was, I thought he could have bought at least a second. But who knows, maybe he felt it was the breaking point. But yeah its dumb to go the Big Nog route or like some of the other instances where fighters get torn to shreds. Conor was pure giving up, he wasnt choked.

‘Gameness’ is a trait much admired in any blood sport, animal or human. That willingness to fight to the very end, no matter the odds.

But these fights aren’t ‘to the death’, and there’s an entire rules structure with ref and doctor stoppages, taps and judge’s decisions to minimize permanent damage.

Once the better fighter on the day is decided, there’s no shame in a fighter admitting that in the ring.

He he I see what you did there...
A like from me.

Back