Leon Edwards is really unlucky

Kenji Tomiki

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Fantastic fighter but the guy can’t take a break. His most noticeable facts are:

A defeat against the current champ
Refusing fights
Eyepoking a fighter
A non fight with Chimahev
A three piece and a soda
And now you add to that list saved by the bell against a former LW

He must change something in the octagon and outside the octagon.

or looked at another way, he's extremely lucky. At his skill level, he could have lost many of his boring decisions.

or looked at another way, he's extremely lucky. At his skill level, he could have lost many of his boring decisions.

He could have, but he plays it safe and is extremely risk averse because he can't take a punch. This isn't a bad thing, and he IS playing to his strengths, but it does make for rather uneventful fights.

He fights to, or just barely above, the level of his competition. It’s not just luck that pushes fans away. Especially the casuals.

I think he has the best chance of anyone to beat Usman, still don't give him too much of a chance though lmao. Colby is basically a shitty smaller Usman with pillow hands. Leon matches his size, has better striking and decent enough ground game to neutralise Usman laying on him. He also is one of the best in the clinch.

I think he has the best chance of anyone to beat Usman, still don't give him too much of a chance though lmao. Colby is basically a shitty smaller Usman with pillow hands. Leon matches his size, has better striking and decent enough ground game to neutralise Usman laying on him. He also is one of the best in the clinch.

I don’t see what Leon has for Usman at all

I don’t see what Leon has for Usman at all
The only real way is to point fight but it's real tough to do that when you're constantly wary of getting taken down or clinched up against the fence.

The only real way is to point fight but it's real tough to do that when you're constantly wary of getting taken down or clinched up against the fence.

Usman has really elevated his own game and now realizes how dangerous he is when he commits , sets up traps and sits on his punches. It would end Brutally for Leon in their rematch since their last fight it's clear which guy had the bigger overall jump.

Usman's ground game is levels above Leon's.

Colby still has the best chance to beat Usman, because he can push the pace and out-cardio him. Usman faked a nut shot (the kick landed on his hip, on the waist band of his shorts) and an eyepoke (he acted like he was poked in the opposite eye) because he wanted to catch his breath in their first fight.

Fantastic fighter but the guy can’t take a break. His most noticeable facts are:

A defeat against the current champ
Refusing fights
Eyepoking a fighter
A non fight with Chimahev
A three piece and a soda
And now you add to that list saved by the bell against a former LW

He must change something in the octagon and outside the octagon.

Agreed - on the downside of some silly stuff that doesn't reflect his worth as a fighter. He is very technical and I enjoyed him piece up Diaz for 95% of the fight last night. As someone else said, even if he likely doesn't beat Usman he will at least be an interesting test given his very technical striking, distance control, and decent grappling.

Back