Dana White: Demian Maia has fought ‘his last fight’ for the UFC

KazDibiase

"My style is kneeing people in the face."
@Silver
Reaction score

The MMA world may have seen Demian Maia make his last walk to the octagon.

At UFC 263 on Saturday, the two-time UFC title challenger lost a unanimous decision to Belal Muhammad in a welterweight bout that served as the last fight on Maia’s current contract. In the lead-up to the fight, much of the talk revolved around whether Maia, 43, would continue to compete past this weekend, win or lose.

UFC President Dana White was asked for his take on the situation at the evening’s post-fight press conference and he answered that he does not expect Maia to fight again, at least not for his promotion.

“I think that was his last fight,” White said. “It was the last fight on his deal. He’s [43 years old]. He’s been so good at getting in there, securing the takedown, getting on top of people and just strangling them or grabbing something and twisting it until you quit, and he couldn’t get it done tonight. He’s [43 years old], he’s a great guy, he’s had a great career, and yes, I would say that’s probably it.”

Against Muhammad, Maia struggled to impose his will on his younger opponent and implement the legendary ground game that has secured him 22 UFC victories and countless memorable submissions. It was the second straight setback for Maia, who was coming off of a first-round TKO loss to Gilbert Burns in March of last year.

Prior to that loss, he’d secured three straight wins over Ben Askren, Anthony Rocco Martin, and Lyman Good. Maia’s bout with Askren at a UFC event in Singapore in October 2019 won Maia his second UFC Fight of the Night award.

MMA Fighting spoke to Maia ahead of Saturday’s fight and he talked about the legacy he would like to leave in martial arts.

“The man that went in there and represented jiu-jitsu,” Maia said of how he wants to be remembered. “Everything I train, boxing, everything is about moving to understand how to use my jiu-jitsu in there. And [be remembered] as a man that believed in certain principals and didn’t change with the flow. I have to behave a certain way as a fighter.

“Back when I was on my winning streak, I remember everybody saying, ‘You have to talk a bunch of crap, you have to do this and do that, or you’ll never fight for the title.’ And I thought to myself, if I changed things because it’s convenient, I think I’d regret that. You can change what you believe when it goes according to your personal evolution, not because it’s convenient. You can’t have varying principles. That’s something I would have regretted a lot, as a man, if I had done it.”

Maia’s pro record fell to 28-11 after Saturday’s loss. He holds notable wins over Askren, Jorge Masvidal, Carlos Condit, Neil Magny, Jon Fitch, and Chael Sonnen, and previously competed for the UFC’s middleweight and welterweight titles.

https://www.mmafighting.com/platfor...&utm_source=twitter&__twitter_impression=true

I do think it's stupid to give a fighter the "one last fight" treatment. It can end horribly like what happened to BJ or what's happening to Cowboy currently.

That being said, it's bullshit that some fighters get this treatment and others don't. I wouldn't really like seeing Maia fight again unless he fights a lesser fighter that won't cause too much damage.

Last edited:
you've yeed your last haw, old man

Right? For Dana this is Maia's last fight but he will give Cerrone another chance lol
Lol maia has never had the fan fare donald has. Nor has he been willing to take short notice fights like Donald. It's not even remotely comparable man cerrone has been much more of a company guy to the ufc.

Dana respects maias body of work and gave him 2 title shots and a long career. He's had plenty of opportunities and is not being slighted even the least bit.

Edit: he was even allowed to fight out his entire contract where so many others just get released before getting that chance. He was treated well.

Last edited:
Lol maia has never had the fan fare donald has. Nor has he been willing to take short notice fights like Donald. It's not even remotely comparable man cerrone has been much more of a company guy to the ufc.

Dana respects maias body of work and gave him 2 title shots and a long career. He's had plenty of opportunities and is not being slighted even the least bit.

Isn't that favoritism then? Donald is no different from Maia now. He's older and has been getting his ass beat left and right. Being a company guy shouldn't change the facts.

Maia seems like a good dude. I hope he continues to compete in jj but no more mma.

Isn't that favoritism then? Donald is no different from Maia now. He's older and has been getting his ass beat left and right. Being a company guy shouldn't change the facts.
Dana white is running a business. And you expect him not to favor the guys who make running business easier? Your logic is...questionable. Of course it's favortism. There's 0 rules saying he can't favor people. And if anything, he's just giving cowboy the same opportunity Maia just had which is to get the remaining fights on his contract. So what line is really being crossed here? You're crying over spilt milk that's long been sour. Whats your expectation, that he be given a whole new contract just so he can try and find the perfect retirement fight? Because THAT would be favortism. If Cowboy fights out his contract, than asks Dana for 1 more and gets the new deal to get it then we can talk.

They should give him a retirement fight in Brazil against a non-Brazilian with horrible takedown defense. It would probably have to wait until the second half of 2022.

Doesnt matter how much you bleed, if you aint Danas baby boi you aint getting shit......

what does that have to do with maia being 43 and father time is undefeated in the end.

Right? For Dana this is Maia's last fight but he will give Cerrone another chance lol

you do know dana said cowboy has 1 fight left on his deal so they give it to cowboy an after it be said this was his last ufc fight.

notice how dana said this was maia last fight on his contract.

I do think it's stupid to give a fighter the "one last fight" treatment. It can end horribly like what happened to BJ or what's happening to Cowboy currently.

That being said, it's bullshit that some fighters get this treatment and others don't. I wouldn't really liked seeing Maia fight again unless he fights a lesser fighter that won't cause too much damage.

well it helps when before the event of said fight the fighter made it clear he retiring after it. maia didnt do that so they cant market it liek that.

Back