What adjustments did Moreno make?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
So in the first fight, I thought Figuereido would win. Perhaps he should have. But it was one of those fights where you go, eh this guy is a huge underdog, but he has fairly good chance, because Moreno comes to fight and he has a similar style that gave Fig trouble and gave him a loss against Formiga, but i guess more crazier version of it.

Moreno looked way better on the feet in the rematch and I think Figueiredo was bit hesitant to engage, if not by a lot, which in my opinion was his own downfall. He should have won the first fight, he just had to tone down his wildness a bit, but he looked to me wary of throwing punches, almost totally different approach than the first fight where he probably should've won. When Moreno dropped Figeuiredo, it was also when Fig was trying to counter Moreno. Fig is a guy that puts it on you, he's not a technical counter puncher, you see.

I knew when Fig was talking about taking Moreno out in the 1st round in the rematch, well not knew but felt , that Fig was probably selling wolf tickets, and he might take cautious approach in the rematch. But what Figueiredo shouldn't have done is abandon his game plan almost entirely from the first fight. He should have won that fight, he just had to fight a bit smarter, but he was shook, almost it seemed.

At the end of the day, better man won. People might say Moreno's jab looked good, yeah, but Moreno was landing in the first fight too, but Figueireo was landing more, and Fig wasn't dropped trying to counter Moreno's jab in the first fight either, and in the rematch, Fig wasn't willing to throw as much.

But all the credit in the world to Moreno. What do you think were the adjustments Moreno made in the rematch?

I wouldnt say Moreno was scared the first fight but I think he overestimated figuereidos power and once he knew he could take figs best shot he became less tentative. He came into this fight knowing exactly what hed do and that was pressure deivison and use the exchanges to look for a takedown or scramble.

Dudes grappling has always been top notch, he was basically a brawler with good grappling when he got on TUF. I think the 6 months he had to prepare for the rematch made a world of difference because he seems to improve by leaps and bounds in each fight. This plus deivisons gameplan of conserving energy never let him get into a groove and Brandon broke him

Don't wanna take anything away from Moreno. I'm a fan and picked him to win. But let's be honest, Fig looked like shit. Did fuckall and got dropped by a jab? Then gasses in the 3rd and gets tapped when he's supposed to be a black belt?

I haven't rewatched the fight or put a lot of thought into it so I could be wrong. Maybe Moreno is that much better. It just looked weird.

Edit: I see I'm not alone

Figgy was more nervous and insecure in the second fight, while Moreno was more confident and engaged first.
That's what I saw too, maybe the weight cut played a role, but he looked horrible

That choke was not fully in, he quit

Dude, Moreno fought Royval November 21st and then Fig on December 12th.

Both him and Fig just kind of winged it, I think. This time, they both came in knowing more about each other and Moreno just figured out more, I guess.

Figgy was more nervous and insecure in the second fight, while Moreno was more confident and engaged first.
Yea Moreno fought off the cage a lot in the first fight and was reacting to fig. In this fight he took the center immediately and imposed himself. People can say what they want about fig having a bad weight cut, he had a bad weight cut in the first joe b fight and still pushed his shit in. Moreno imposed his gameplan last night and it paid off

I heard someone saw Figgy back stage and they can confirm that he was indeed shook.

In Moreno's part I think it was more him getting better than making adjustments.

Figgy on the other hand was the one trying to fight different from the first time. He cleary wanted to be more composed and pick his shots, but Moreno wouldnt let him get going.

Moreno also proved he is the better grappler right now.

And I think the confidence level was on an all time high for Moreno while Figgy seemed not as confident as he was on his lasts outings. The confidence thing is huge.

He took the center and fought like it was his belt, Figgy looked to be in rough shape and he let that get in his head and so barely showed up. Thats the game though, you gotta be able to do it on your worst days. Congrats to the new champion.

He’s smart by not cutting gajillion pounds like Fig does.

He was quicker/fresher. Not to mention he can scrap and has great grappling ability.

Back